• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing chain dry not oiled??

nate438

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ 4.0 and I'm getting ready to replace the timing chain on it. I have the timing cover off and can see the chain and gears. My question is, are the chain and gears suposed to be very wet with oil? When I pulled my cover off I didn't have any oil drip on out at all, like it was just barley wet. Is that normal? How does the chain get lubed for that matter? Just want to make sure I don't have any other issues while I'm this far into it.

Thanks.

There is supposed to be a slinger on the crank that oils the chain.

How long ago was the engine running? When i changed mine, i let it sit over friday night and started on it on Saturday afternoon. By then the chain wasnt completly wet or anything, but it wasnt "dry" per sey. I mean looking at it you could tell that it was oiled, but it wasnt like it was an oily mess to change / do.

I would recommend you get a chain and gears from a 95-96 XJ. Its beefier then the stock for the RENIX (87-90) and early HO's (91-93 or 94).

Renix / early HO replacements are a single roller type chain 48 link (reminds me of a oversized bike chain)

earlytimingchain.jpg

In 94 or 95 they changed to a "Silent" 64 link chain.

latetimingchain.jpg

Thicker sprockets, less impact on each, and less likely to stretch over time.

Last edited:
I have been looking into the double roller timing chains to help eliminate the stretching? Has anyone installed one on a 4.0??

I've been thinking about it when I build my stroker (finally...)

The timing chain is lubricated by a combination of bleed from the front camshaft bearing journal and oil flung up by the slinger on the crank nose. If the engine has been shut down for more than about an hour, there won't be much but a fine sheen of oil on the thing, so that's normal.

As far as checking chain placement - most of the sets on the shelf are for later models, so the FSM procedure doesn't work. Just do what I do - install the chain with the marks lined up, and then turn the crankshaft twice. The marks should end up right back where they were - if they did, button it up. If they don't, find out what you did wrong.

I think I would really like to go with the double roller chain, is there a brand that you would reccomend? Do the double rollers still use the oil slinger?

I've used Cloyes and Edelbrock in many early Dodge applications. Both seemed to hold up well. The 70's Dodge motors had some of the worst designed timing chains devised by mankind. Most every motor needed a replacement, well before it's time was up.
The last time I had my timing chain cover off, I noticed one oil passage was almost completely closed off with a casting flaw (slag). I was able to break it out with a screwdriver

I know this thread is ancient but I fear my chain is being starved.Will someone show me a pic of where oil comes from to supply the timing set?
Is it behind the cam gear?

I know this thread is ancient but I fear my chain is being starved.Will someone show me a pic of where oil comes from to supply the timing set?
Is it behind the cam gear?

Behind the camshaft gear towards the top there will be a hole in the block that goes into the lifter oil galley.

That's where I thought it was thanks for the confirmation.
This is gonna sound crazy but has anyone drilled a sight window in the cover to see if the timing chain is getting a bath??(while the cover is off ofcorse)
Also is there supposed to be a special washer(not the oil slinger)that goes on or behind the cam gear to allow oil to get to the chain?I thought I heard mention of that somewhere

Last edited:
That's where I thought it was thanks for the confirmation.
This is gonna sound crazy but has anyone drilled a sight window in the cover to see if the timing chain is getting a bath??(while the cover is off ofcorse)
Also is there supposed to be a special washer(not the oil slinger)that goes on or behind the cam gear to allow oil to get to the chain?I thought I heard mention of that somewhere

There is a washer and bolt for mounting the cam sprocket to the cam and an alignment pin, but I don't remember any "spacer" washer between the cam sprocket and the cam.

On some timing chain sets the cam cog has a hole opposite the alignment dowel hole that lets oil out from the camshaft's front bearing. Sometimes the washer covers this hole and a channel can be made from the hole to extend past the washer.

Back