• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96' Auto Need Help on a TPS High Voltage Code

mk1spyder

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I just bought my first cherokee about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Its a 1996 Automatic sport 4.0 with about 172,000 miles on the clock. Its been well taken care of and its been awesome up until now. We had a big rainstorm one day recently and I hit a decent sized puddle, about 2 mins later I get a check engine light and it starts stumbling at certain rpms, doesnt want to shift right, stalls sometimes. Well its a TPS high voltage code P0123 which would explain why its doing what it does. I had read that the o-rings on the factory TPS' arent that great, and a new one was only $30 so I went ahead and replaced the TPS, didnt fix anything as I expected it wouldnt. The ground cable on the battery was a little loose so I fixed that, still didnt help anything. Now ever since i've had the jeep my cruise control has been intermittent, sometimes it would turn on, most of the time it wont, so I was thinking clockspring problem. But everywhere I look they only include the 1997 and up xj's in the clockspring problems, do 1996's not have the problem? My production date is 12/95 so its def not an early 97'. I'm thinking its a bad TPS ground but I left my dvom in charlotte so I cant check it to make sure, what im wondering is are there any notorious places to look or can I just cut the ground wire at the sensor and make my own ground for the TPS or does it have to be ran through the sensor ground in the ecu? Thx for any help.

did u clear the code, or reset the computer.
its easy just unplug your batt for 10 min and then plud back in, and now the puter will learn again.

Had the battery disconnected for over a day......did nothing, need some help guys.

Oh and I grenaded my front axle yesterday, threw gears through the diff cover lol... Took out the inner axles so now shes a 2wd hero.

90xj06 said:
yes it is most likly the tps. they hate water.

if u read his whole post, u will see that he changed the TPS already.

yup, im gonna go through all the grounds and see if any are loose or whatnot, still this is iritating, this jeep has been so pathetic compared to my landcruiser

Back