• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp Sensor Location

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm almost finished with the restore on my '88 chero. It runs great and everything, but it overheats a little [I've got to flush the radiator, no big deal]

The only thing is, My electric fan is run off of a switch, so that I can manually cool the motor. However, being an 88, the coolant temp sensor only has the ok/danger light on the dash, where-as I need it to be the numeric read-out kind.

I can get a sensor, but I don't know where it goes, If any of you can shed some light on that it would be greatly appreciated.

It is on the back of the head by the firewall on the driver's side with one wire leading to it. Be careful removing this as they are prone to breakage as many have done. Then you have a different problem. Put anti-sieze on it when you reinstall it and don't crank it down TOO hard.

the renix fan switch is located on the drivers side of the radiator...
edit:you are looking for the gauge sender....like mentioned above its on the back of the head on the drivers side.

rocklandxjer said:
Hey guys, I'm almost finished with the restore on my '88 chero. It runs great and everything, but it overheats a little [I've got to flush the radiator, no big deal]

The only thing is, My electric fan is run off of a switch, so that I can manually cool the motor. However, being an 88, the coolant temp sensor only has the ok/danger light on the dash, where-as I need it to be the numeric read-out kind.

I can get a sensor, but I don't know where it goes, If any of you can shed some light on that it would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds to me like you have idiot lights and want to have a real gauge. Go to the junkyard and find a 87-90 cluster and swap it in. Everyone else is right about the sensor. Is at the drivers side rear of the head. If you look at the MAP sensor on the firewall, its almost directly below that.

Muad'Dib said:
Sounds to me like you have idiot lights and want to have a real gauge. Go to the junkyard and find a 87-90 cluster and swap it in. Everyone else is right about the sensor. Is at the drivers side rear of the head. If you look at the MAP sensor on the firewall, its almost directly below that.

Yessir, thats what I'm going to wind up doing. I'm kicking myself too 'cause I had a '92 parts jeep and never thought to take the cluster out.

Oh well, you live and learn.

Back