• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tubing bender of choice

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys and gals what tubing bender do you have or have used and liked, Im in the market to replace my old old old one that I broke tonight. Well probably broke it a few weeks ago but noticed the cracks in it tonight.

Post pics if you can

Against building one?
Check here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=933523
There is some discussion on the GotTrikes Air/Hydraulic Tube bender, that I and a few others have built. For less money than a manual Pro-Tools or JD2 bender I have a air/hydro unit that works very well. If you're interested I could snap a few pictures of mine completed.

bndr01.jpg

Go Ercolina or go home.

:D

--ron

We have a JD^2 model 2 and we built an air/hydro setup for it from an 8ton HF ram. Its been awsome.

Ron, what the ~cost for prebent stuff. Like send the Cad files over and let some bend it and mail it to you? Nice bender, it is CNC? Any used ones floating around.

Weasel said:
Ron, what the ~cost for prebent stuff. Like send the Cad files over and let some bend it and mail it to you? Nice bender, it is CNC? Any used ones floating around.

We do contract manufacturing, so it's bid per specs. Material, complexity and volume are the cost bearers in most quotes. It is CNC, and we are adding a positioner in the next few weeks.

--ron

Weasel said:
ah the positioner was what I was looking for. I'm looking mainly very limited runs, intially single run, later possible very low volume runs. All steel DOM or Chromo, possibly 3D bends or large radius's.

With this type of bender, back to back off axis bends are limited to the diameter of the tube in most cases. We rarely see anything that bumps into that limit. Usually when it does, the tube is sectioned at that point by specification, or tooling is available to reduce the clearance required.

Off axis bending is still pretty accurate, we use the scribe and position method with software right now, it's just not production friendly.

--ron

We use a JD2. Its a really nice bender, and it makes really clean bends. The only thing I hate is the piece of wire/brazing rod that they use as a dial. Its really low tech, not very accurate, and extreamly cheap. Not to mention 1/2 the people that have never seen a JD2 think it is just a piece of wire and pull on it and tweek it.

If considering this bender I would recommend not buying the stand and just making one, and deffentally dont buy the handle, its just a piece of sq tube and you easly cut one.

I kinda like the jd2 for simplicity may end up going that route with a strip down model and add to it as I see fit. Thanks for the recommendations

Hey Captin I gota say you always have the best toys but my wife would kill me if I built a shop around the $10,000+ bender......well at least she would be happy I kept it in the shop.

i have the JD squared, JD3 bender, and have no complaints. i do agree that the stand and handle are to easy to build yourself. by the way they have replaced the wire gauge with a flat plate one and its fairly accurate and as always depends on how meticulous the person working the bender is

the ercolina is what we used at master craft with the rotation position-er and stop rails, definitely a good machine and was excellent for mass production runs of 2 or 3 thousand seats with good ( not perfect ) accuracy, it really was the person running the bender that was the factor on the repetitive accuracy

looks like Ill go JD2 model 3. talking with a few people it seems the best choice for what I plan on doing for now and if I ever need to upgrade it makes a decent platform to do so with.

I was looking at getting a JD2 model 3 and was wondering where people get their die sets because the ones on their site would double the cost of the set and I was wondering if that was normal.

I have used the Ercolina and liked it alot but it is definately a production minded unit, because you need to do a high production to pay for it.

For most people the manual JD2 is great. We use a JD2 with an add on air over setup, because it is very slow you can be very accurate.

Back