• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front and Rear hitch questions

Banditt007

NAXJA Forum User
A few questions I hope you guys can help me with... I want to install a front and rear hitch on my 98' xj. I hear that the two best options for the front are the draw-tite and the hidden hitch... the draw-tite being the one that sits up higher/tighter. For the rear i am unsure...

Main concerns are... I need good fitment, strength, and as stealthy/least ground clearence lost for both front and rear.

Any better options than draw tite for the front? is one stronger/mounted better ect than the other. The draw tite i hear i must drill two 1/2" holes... would rather not drill but if i have to no big deal.

As for the rear what is my best option i want a class III, again that is mounted strong, good fitment and out of the way/sight as much as possible.

Also what is a weight distributing hitch? (i read something about that?)

I do plan on keeping stock front and rear bumpers. Also any places for cheap plug-into-the-reciever D-ring's for recovery?

what i'm thinking is i can buy one of a few diff accesories and just plug them in either front or rear. seems like the most versitle approach. can i get both in standard 2"?

thanks for all the help just bought my first jeep this past sunday and want to get her ready for some surf fishing/driving on the beach. figgured driving w/o recovery points on the beach...as a off roading newb no less, is a recipe for disaster. :eek:

Thanks!

www.detoursusa.com I just installed the "backbone" system. I will post pics tommorow. EXCELLENT SYSTEM!!!

As far as recovery points i allways just use a reviever hitch without the ball and put the shackle through the hole. For the rear go to the junkyard and get the factory rear hitch and the nut strips(the factory put a lot of thought and R&D in to it and it should be the strongest). You can get them one for about 25-50 bucks.

Check my avatar,a Draw-tite is mounted there,see it,hangs no lower than the air dam.Yes, you need to drill two holes,not a big deal.
Standard 2" reciever.

Wayne

i have the stock hitch, slightly modifed on the rear of my xj. it is a standard class III hitch. it is visable from behind the vehicle and the reciever (plus all of the horizontal tube) hangs below the bumper. for me it worked out to be not such a bad thing. it helped save my rear bumper from being crushed up into the liftgate when wheeling. i came down a ledge and landed pretty hard on my gastank skid and the hitch. the bumper did get a little bent upward, but at least i am still able to open the rear liftgate.

i cut the factory wiring harness box off of mine. it was already slightly bent and i knew it was going to get moreso with wheeling. i didnt have the wiring to go with it so i had no problems taking it off.

hope that helps and welcome to NAXJA
stewie

Back