• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emergency Brake Handle "Exploded"

mavsdad

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and found nothing however, this is my first post so plz let me know if i missed something?

93 XJ brake handle button spring etc. came apart...cant find info in the chiltons manual can anyone help with parts and or reassembly?

Thanks
Charlie

Find an xj in a junkyard and pull the handle and rod out. If the button and spring popped out once it'll do it again.

My 93 ZJ did that. The button stripped off the end of the rod. I put some epoxy on the button, held everything in place with electrical tape until it dried. Been working fine ever since.

Just pulled one out of the junk yard last week,to put in my wifes 98.$25 for one out of a 2000 XJ.

Wayne

This same problem happened to my '98 almost 8 years ago...
I tried to epoxy the button onto the barb for the rod, but the plastic button broke again about 6 months later....
When I called the dealership; they wanted $75 for a new one... All I needed was the button...
Went to the local junkyards and most of them were missing, damaged or the owners were asking WAY TOO MUCH for them....
Finally decided to make a button of my own; which I fabricated out of 3/4" aluminum rod stock.... Bored out a stepped hole which the spring seats inside, drilled two small holes for allen set screws to tighten against the rod with the barb on it, placed an angular taper on the end for my thumb rest and painted it black to match the handle...
Has worked flawlessly over the past 8 years... and didnt cost anything....

Thanks to all........this site rocks!!! We have a U-Pull it here in Orlando...I will check it out. The idea of making one also seems like interesting.

:yelclap: Hope to help others one day!!

mavsdad said:
Thanks to all........this site rocks!!! We have a U-Pull it here in Orlando...I will check it out. The idea of making one also seems like interesting.

:yelclap: Hope to help others one day!!

most of us here are more than willing to help out with information. you will find that a junk yard is a great place to find repair parts and even option upgrade (better seats etc) and modification parts at. i went yesterday and found front vent windows, upgraded interior door pannels, underhood light, an unbroken center consol lid latch, and a ford tourus electric fan (upgrade/mod). searching here on the forum will show some threads that list many junkyard treasures.

stick arround here long enough, accumulate enought knowledge and experience and you will definitely be able to pass advice on to others. ive only been here for almost 3 years, and i still think of myself as a little bit of a newbie, but i find that more and more often i am able to help other people that are having similar/the same issues i have had.

Back