• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission

futbol4x4xj

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a few transmission problems.

1.There is a clunking noise when i push in the clutch and shift at the "wrong rpms".

2. There is tons of heat the comes from my transmission shifter hole. Not sure what it is.

3. There seems to be a rattle around the transmission hump, just through regular driving, seems that the rattle could be the transfer case shifter bushing. Looks like there was a tsb for that.

I am really not sure of everything. Any and all help would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

what year?

bad tranny mount would be my guess for the clunking

have you checked the level and condition of the fluid?

futbol4x4xj said:
its a 95 4.0, So ax15? The transmission hump gets really hot. tranny cooler?

ax15 is the 5speed. did you check the level of the fluid? did you check the trans mount?

Ya I don't think that manual tranny should get that hot unless when towing or driving for a long time.
There should be two plugs on the side of the tranny. One near the bottom and one usually directly above it a few inches. Take the top plug out and stick your finger in it and see if you can feel any oil in there.
Better yet just losin the bottom plug and change it right away.

Not many choices avaliable. Do not use an API GL-5 oil, it will eat the brass synchonizers.

Best stuff to use is Redline MT-90.

Sounds like it's low on fluid (causing that heat). Fill it with GL-3 fluid only, hard to find...

Now as for question one, all I can say is... What? Like what speed are you driving and what gear are you trying to go into?

Back