• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace calipers?

CRJeepin

NAXJA Forum User
Am doing ball joints on my 88 XJ and was going to do pads at the same time, looking at the price of rebuilt calipers though it's barely any more expensive (maybe $10 per side?!) to just replace the entire caliper (loaded with pads)! The existing look to be original, and are pretty rusted up.

Thinking that it's probably a good idea to go ahead and do it, might improve my braking some....have already done it on other vehicles so bleeding the lines isn't a problem, I just wondered if I was wasting my time or not.

You have it apart, you might as well..peace of mind.Just remember that although the calipers will probably not be marked L or R that they are wheel specific. Hell of a time bleeding them when they are on the wrong wheel...lol

Speaking from experience on an 88 MJ, yes I would replace the calipers too. It is NO fun having those seize up on you. That is one thing I now consider preventative maintenance because I was really quite scared when my FR one locked.

Cool, thanks guys. that's what I kinda figured but thought I'd ask. I was planning on replacing the unit bearings too, but they're still tight (only 115k on the jeep) and they're easy enough to replace, I think I'll leave them for now....too damn expensive when you're already doing ball joints, calipers, u-joints, pads and rotors!

With only 115k on the clock I wouldn't worry about the bearings....however if you decide to do them..look on ebay, I got brandy new one for $39 and change ..delivered

Dang! that's a steal. I was hoping to get them rebuilt, since they're the roller bearing style on the 88...but the parts alone are $70 and a shop will charge another $20-30 to do it, so that's not much less than a new unit bearing. Will hold off on it for now.

The stock unit bearings on my 05 TJ only made it to 36k...with 35" tires though! Wonder if the XJ unit bearing would be a direct fit...if so it might be worth getting them rebuilt with new roller bearings and putting them on the TJ....

Back