• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel tank overflows

wmss99

NAXJA Forum User
98 Jeep Cherokee Classic[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
Plastic fuel tank[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
When I fill up the fuel tank,[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
The gas pump automatically shuts off when the tank is full,[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
It always overflows maybe a quart or less from the top front center of the fuel tank where I think the fuel pump and fuel lines attach to the tank.[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
Without dropping the tank, I can’t see what is going on.[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
I have been told by a Jeep tech there is an overflow valve that will let gas out if you pump too much in and will seal it’s self up after it lets the excess fuel out.[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
I am wondering if this valve has gone bad. He also said there are a few safety features i.e. engine light, which would alert me if there was a hole in the tank or if the pressure in the tank became abnormally low.[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
After driving a few miles, the excess gas evaporates and there is no smell or visible leak.[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
Today I got under the truck, felt around the fuel lines going into the tank for any damage and took some digital pictures of the area (pictures posted), I didn’t notice anything out of place.
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Thank you in advance for the help…Bill[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
2488039295_293fccb51a_m.jpg
[/FONT]

2488854694_995199c971_m.jpg
[/FONT]

2488040409_9498897a07_m.jpg