• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should my Jeep be dead yet?

ZacSquatch

NAXJA Forum User
Well on my way back from school the other day, loaded heavy with crap and goin up a huge mountian, the sucker topped 260*.... Luckily it hit it at the top and I just put'r in neutral and by the time I was at the bottum i was at 180 and just kept on goin... I've hit 260 at least a half dozen times in its life with me (year.5), and It still runs like a champ.

Should I have blown a head yet or is it just that tough.

Don't you need to keep the trans in gear to keep the fluid circulating?

You're pushing your luck. That "260" is the coolant temp. If you had an oil temp gauge, it might scare you, and the temps of the internals could be even worse. Ran my CJ-5 for over 5 years. Overheated it 2, maybe 3 times. I pulled it apart after it started to blow oil(not right after an overheat) The blow by was because 2 pistons were melted along the edge of the face down to the first compression ring. Rings frozen in the groves, and eventually broke. New rings wouldn't seat(that was how I finally figured why the broken rings)

Find the problem and fix it. It's cheap even in the short run.

I was running an AutoZone radiator. It did not leak coolant, but it did leak pressure. I always ran warmer. On the highway for a few hours I was at 240-250 degrees constant. Nothing ever happened though. It wasn't the thermostat either.

It was definately the radiator. Piece of crap, everything from AutoZone is crap except their oil! Becuase they don't make the oil!

you should be fixing your over heating problem! New 3 core radiator new t stat chack water pump and through some redline water wetter in it!

had a hole in my 94xj radiator and bad clutch fan, wasnt bad with air moving threw it, got caught in traffic one day the S.O.B was Steaming. hit 260 and i shut the engine off and pulled over.... started up fine 10 mins later and ran like a champ

It was about six months after I overheated my jeep untill my number 5 cylinder left me. I dunno how hot it got cause all I had were idiot lights but I will tell you that there was a LOUD screaming noise... like a freakin banchee. So however hot that is is how hot it got :dunno:

I believe the 3-core has a larger overall coolant capicity, iirc. There might be slight differences in the size of the "veins" or whatever you want to call them, but there is probably more overall surface area in hte 3-core as well.

I know it drank more coolant with the 3-core compared to my old crappy 2-core.

Blaine B. said:
I believe the 3-core has a larger overall coolant capicity, iirc. There might be slight differences in the size of the "veins" or whatever you want to call them, but there is probably more overall surface area in hte 3-core as well.

I know it drank more coolant with the 3-core compared to my old crappy 2-core.

The biggest difference is more the size of the tubes themselfs. The 2-core has larger tubes and more room between them. This of course results in heat being dissipated faster in a natural fashion. This only really applies when not moving thus why i stated better for off-roading. It would also apply for the traffic jam and stop light people. 3 Core will show an improvement if your moving. Im not sure what the cutoff speed would be, but i would assume about 35mph.

Either one will however be an improvement especially if the radiator has never been replaced. No matter which way you decide, make sure you get aluminum.

Back