• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Axle Growl??

I have the same thing and I've literally changed everything short of the gears themselves because I've never found shavings in the oil. I changed the wheel bearings the pinion bearing and changed the brakes including the hardware. Still have the growl.

My '00 has that growl in the back(8.25 axle). A friend who is a Jeep tec. diagnosed it as the pinion bearing. He also said fix it fast or the abnormal wear pattern on the gears (caused by excessive/changing play) will cause noise even after a rebuild.

.010 side play and no preload? Way out. You need at least a new crush sleeve. If you already have it apart, why not do bearings?

I already have a new Ring and pinion, And all new bearings.
I'm a Gm guy and I've never had a Gm Axle make noise with so little play. I'm just worried there is something wrong with my Tcase.

here is an easy test providing you have a sye:
Disconnect rear ds and put it in 4wd and go for a drive...if the noise is gone you can be pretty sure its the pinion.....

C-8.25 weak???C-mon....The 29spline 8.25 has one less spline than a d-44.
I digress...this thread isn't about axle strength.

Last edited:
why do you suspect the t-case?Is your seal leaking or do you have play in the output yoke?If no skip to step two below...

Remove your rear ds and drive it in 4wd if noise goes away than its likely your pinion bearing is bad.:laugh3:
How bad is the growl?My 8.25 makes a light growl(my axle is good)....I've read that the 8.25 isn't the quietest axle around.It may just be the nature of the 8.25...

Last edited:
For future reference:
With an untouched stock rear end...

Growl in coast: Front Pinion Bearing
Growl under power: Rear Pinion Bearing
Constant growl: Carrier Bearings

For future reference:

i'm bringing this thread back.... can someone tell me which exactly is the front and rear bearings in the axle? is front the yoke side? cause i have a pretty nice growl on coast, and quite a bit of metal flaking in the fluid even right after i swapped fluids, so i am thinking that the bearings are definitely bad.

For future reference:

I had a growl during coast and I found the carrier bearings damaged(lost preload).
The pinion bearings were fine(changed anyway).

Back