• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Floor rot

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
so after deciding to keep my xj I started to tear it apart to get a feel for it and what needs to be done and OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH baby is there rot

team cherokee sells replacement floor parts, I knew I would need floor boards but it turned out to be a bit more. how easy is this to replace.

by spare tire in back
5-04004.jpg

opposite side
5-04005.jpg

flintstones type rear floorboards.
5-04006.jpg

anyone have suggestions or write ups on replacing all this stuff or am I screwed.

also, which is better to use once this is fixed, herculiner or any other of that stuff.

TIA

doug

I don't start thinking floorboard replacement until my feet are dragging the ground. Depends on how much of it is actual rot and what is surface rust. And if any or how much of it is actually structural.
I cut out sheet metal patches and weld them in there. Clean up all of the actual rot and then weld a patch over what is left. Then seal it up good.
Poking it with a screw driver or tapping it with the pointy end of a slagging hammer will tell you quick, what is rot and what isn't.

Look under the front carpet, there may be some more unpleasant surprises.

I've actually done more welding on my 96 than I have my 88. I crawl underneath and poke almost every square inch of the underbody. Both mine have undercoating, the undercoating can hide rot till way past too late. If you catch it early it's often not a big deal.

Last edited:
everywhere I poked the screwdriver went right through, and now I can't find the catalogue with the cheap replacement parts :doh:

this is actually not as bad as my friends jeep was. you could fit your head through 2 of the holes that were in his floor. he did it the cheap way and took 22 guage sheet metal, doubled it up and patched all the wholes and rot and pop riveted it in. he is going to do truck bed liner in the inside of his jeep to cover it up and its better for water.

H8PVMT said:
everywhere I poked the screwdriver went right through, and now I can't find the catalogue with the cheap replacement parts :doh:
More labor intensive, than the price of the replacement floorboards. My first choice is patches, second choice skins, third choice floor pan replacement.
By the time I finally retired my SJ 410, I'd replaced the whole floor, all of the wheel wells, the rockers and some of the body with patches and skins. I called it Frankenzuki.

Last edited:
This is rot:

driver2.jpg

viewfromhatch.jpg

What you have is surface rust. Tear it apart and weld/rivet some new plates, or get new floor as previously suggested.

Lots of write-ups, search "floorboards", "floorpans". etc., for write-ups.

(H8P) That rust is really not that bad. My 90' was/is way worse. Sherman has the parts but I think their shipping is expensive.
I'll give you my seceret place, don't anybody else look....www.raybuck.com. and then there is www.jeepdiscountparts.com. NOS front and rear floor pans deilvered for less than $500. I bought my front pan on amazon.com for $158.64 delivered

trust me, I can take better pictures if you want, anywhere i poke a few more inches of daylight come in, my rear floors look as bad as the ones you posted, what was that black cover in the cargo area is that a "Skin"?

i just don't want to toss something in the trunk and have it crash through to the ground :cheers:

Nope. That's bedliner. I did the cargo area thinking that is where the wet and stink was... but no. I pulled up the rest of the carpet, and with a lot of work over 3 days, I had the floors cut out and replaced with plate, bedlinered, etc. The hardest part was getting the front seats out, as the studs and nuts were rusted too.

Looks like this now:

passengerfront.jpg

passengerrear.jpg

driverfront.jpg

how are the fumes? I have seen a lot of threads saying that bedlining is no good once the tranny heats up, although I have a manual so I "could" get away by just putting a HUGE heat shield along the exhaust, but I like the idea of herculining the front floor pans

BTW, where are your drain plugs??

Ughhhh! I am really not looking forward to doing this. Mine looks a lot like H8PVMt.
dru9, How is the floor noise wise? Get any new rattles now that youdont ahve the carpet?

After the herculiner drys there is no smell. but if you are not going to run carpet the floor gets pretty hot. I put a front floor pan in my xj a few years ago, it took me about 70 hours. I need to put the rear pan in but im just not in the mood lately.http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18758&d=1198981083 Heres a pic of mine with the floor cut all the way out.

Sure it's a bit hot. But it's not crazy hot. I've had it like this for a year and a half now, and I really don't care about puttting carpet back in. You also hear more sounds from your Jeep, but I kinda like that - easy to hear when something's going wrong.

But I live in Toronto, and it really doesn't get hot enough to worry about (even with no Air Con.). And in the cold, it heats up quick!

dru9 said:
That's in my plans for when what I've already done blows apart ;)

You may want to start looking now chrysler is starting to discontinue alot of these pans. What ever is left gets sold about 25% under cost, I picked up a full rear pan for mine for around $60 bucks

I've seen them elsewhere other than the dealer - can't remember offhand - I'm sure someone else will remind me ?

Edit: $60? Holy crap!!!

Back