• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sweet new TPS! but..

OverTheHillsATTW

NAXJA Forum User
Got my TPS in this morning for my 89 Renix and found my power and shift points are better then ever!

Here is the problem.. after warm up and 15 minutes of driving the jeep likes to die out at stop lights and stop signs or anywhere where no throttle or movement is involved. ..Damn.. I'm brake/gas at every light and it's getting difficult not to stall it out in slow moving traffic. :wow:

OverTheHillsATTW said:
Got my TPS in this morning for my 89 Renix and found my power and shift points are better then ever!

Here is the problem.. after warm up and 15 minutes of driving the jeep likes to die out at stop lights and stop signs or anywhere where no throttle or movement is involved. ..Damn.. I'm brake/gas at every light and it's getting difficult not to stall it out in slow moving traffic. :wow:

My 88 renix did that i gave it a new cps tps map now she is all better dont know if that will help but thats my 0.02
And i got better gas mileage when i did MAP

If it helps after it does finally die and I restart it.. it sounds like "please just let me sleep" kind of running.

First, congratulations on solving shift problem, with new TPS. Did you calibrate the TPS on the TCU side? Did you check the TPS idle value on the ECU side after calibrating the TCU side?
Have you restarted the jeep several times, or disconected the battery to force the ECU to update the TPS table values in the ECU for the new TPS.

Based on your description it sounds like the O2 sensor is getting flakey in closed loop, or like the IAC has some junk in it that shows up as it tries to reduce the hot idle speed and thus needs cleaning.

One other slim possiblity is a temperature sensor, but I doubt it.

Have you done a complete tune up yet? I forget the details from your prior thread(s)?

Ecomike said:
First, congratulations on solving shift problem, with new TPS. Did you calibrate the TPS on the TCU side? Did you check the TPS idle value on the ECU side after calibrating the TCU side?
Have you restarted the jeep several times, or disconected the battery to force the ECU to update the TPS table values in the ECU for the new TPS.

Based on your description it sounds like the O2 sensor is getting flakey in closed loop, or like the IAC has some junk in it that shows up as it tries to reduce the hot idle speed and thus needs cleaning.

One other slim possiblity is a temperature sensor, but I doubt it.

Have you done a complete tune up yet? I forget the details from your prior thread(s)?

I read a lot of your posts they were very helpful.

I've cleaned the idle stepper motor so far and had a small increase but after warm up it just wants to die when on the brake. So far it has new oil/air/fuel filters. Along with plugs wires and oil changed. I can hear a low ticking which sounds like its coming from the header manifold only on the gas. So im thinking there is a crack to be found later down the road. Could that throw my 02 sensor off loop?

Ecomike said:
Did you calibrate the TPS on the TCU side? Did you check the TPS idle value on the ECU side after calibrating the TCU side?

You never answered this very important question

Well I am so glad my friend referred me to this forum. I just bought a 1990 Cherokee and I am having this exact problem. This was post replacing valve cover gasket, fuel filter, fuel pump, oil change, air filter change, replacing the entire CCV system.

I just dropped in a new TPS and I am in the same boat...:piratefla and sinking. I am going to try some of these ideas. I will be back with results and many questions as I am the newbee here... THANKS!!!

Yes I calibrated the TPS. I also made sure the TB was "closed" when testing and adjusting.

OverTheHillsATTW said:
I've cleaned the idle stepper motor so far and had a small increase but after warm up it just wants to die when on the brake. So far it has new oil/air/fuel filters. Along with plugs wires and oil changed. I can hear a low ticking which sounds like its coming from the header manifold only on the gas. So im thinking there is a crack to be found later down the road. Could that throw my 02 sensor off loop?

Yes.

Thanks guys I'll post back when I get the manifold off and swap it with another. Thanks alot Ecomike since your previous thread with Renix files has helped me alot in these hard times.

Does anyone know what aftermarket companys make tubed headers for the Renix engine?

OverTheHillsATTW said:
Thanks guys I'll post back when I get the manifold off and swap it with another. Thanks alot Ecomike since your previous thread with Renix files has helped me alot in these hard times.

Does anyone know what aftermarket companys make tubed headers for the Renix engine?

pacesetter or clifford

Dont waste your time getting a header for the renix head. It will net you just about no performance gain unless you do a port and polish to the head. If you decide to do that (removing the head etc) then its just best to get a 7120 head from a HO 91-95, and swap out everything from the head up from the HO. Thats where you will see some power gains.

I don't plan on seeing any power gains but I do have a spare head off a 91 that will be getting decked and ported this summer to help rebuild my Renix.

OverTheHillsATTW said:
I don't plan on seeing any power gains but I do have a spare head off a 91 that will be getting decked and ported this summer to help rebuild my Renix.

than you wont need a header for the renix head. there are more options for HO headers.

I have fixed the problem with my 91 Cherokee stalling out when not on the throttle. After a new TPS, IAC, Plugs/Wires/Distributor Cap/Rotor Button, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, and other misc tune-up things it was very simple. A friend of mine's brother manages a local shop and he said plate off the ERG valve. We did it this weekend and fixed... instantly...:worship:

The Jeep no longer stalls out when slowing or stopping. Another mechanic I talked to said the same thing, after I had already plated it off.

I still have the tic-tic-tic sound, but it is really reduced now. I have to get it up on a lift and check the exhaust system and manifold.

Hope that this info helps someone out.

Witchdoctor said:
I have fixed the problem with my 91 Cherokee stalling out when not on the throttle. After a new TPS, IAC, Plugs/Wires/Distributor Cap/Rotor Button, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, and other misc tune-up things it was very simple. A friend of mine's brother manages a local shop and he said plate off the ERG valve. We did it this weekend and fixed... instantly...:worship:

The Jeep no longer stalls out when slowing or stopping. Another mechanic I talked to said the same thing, after I had already plated it off.

I still have the tic-tic-tic sound, but it is really reduced now. I have to get it up on a lift and check the exhaust system and manifold.

Hope that this info helps someone out.

The EGR on Jeeps was last used in 1990. Curious about your 91 post, was that Renix engine, head, or what in yours?

How do you "plate off" the egr valve? I am still trying to solve the same symptoms, but mine happens only when the engine is cold.

I beg to differ, in fact my 1991 XJ has an EGR system and valve. It is located on the driver's side of the intake manifold below your air intake hose. Two mechanics told me to "plate it off" and showed me where it was. It even said "EGR" on it. I simple took off the part that bolted onto the engine and made an aluminum plate with holes for the bolts. Then took the plate and added some black hi-temp silicone. Then sandwiched it between the engine mounting surface and the EGR. Problem was solved instantly. This is very common in older Jeeps and should be done in any Jeep that does not need emmissions testing. Hope that helps.

Back