• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

preunner/ jeepspeed project

slcpunk74

NAXJA Forum User
So we(My friend Kevin and I) just bought a 1994 2wd four door xj with the aw4 and a 4.0 with about 157k on the clock. We plan on building a budget desert racer that depending on how it goes may be raced(not sure yet but thats the plan)We bought it for $400 and it had some front end... well crushedness(it was crunched a bit). In the accident the rad was bent, the rad support pushed back, both fans into the engine, and the power steering and idler pulleys bent.

DSC00769.jpg

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00776.jpg

so other then the front it is really good shape. I bought a grill, decent used rad,fans, idler pulley, and power steering pump.

The pile of refuse

DSC00777.jpg

So I got it running and it sounds great! I am happy we know the engine and trans seam to be solid. Now here is my problem... I put it together to get it running and the rad support is still bent too far to have the rad sit in there right and have clearance for the e fans and mechanical fan shroud. I would like some input on how anyone might think I could straighten this better.

DSC00785.jpg

DSC00786.jpg

DSC00787.jpg

you can see here that the fan sits almost out of the bottom mounts and tilted way back
DSC00782.jpg

Put a small hyd jack against the cowl handle sideways. then a 2x4 betbeen it and the core support. Pump the jack and watch the damage lessen quickly. Over bend it slightly because of spring back. You will have to do this in a couple of places but should be able to straighten most of the damage.
Good luck nice buy.
Ron

going fast on a budget doesnt work so well...

expect to spend between 4-10k to get going... not including the original vehicle buy-in....

HOWEVER... i wish you luck, nice to see friends building vehicles together

Use your hi-lift as a winch to pull the radiator support out. Lay it on the ground in front of the Jeep (base in front of radiator, top leading away from the car), fasten hooks/chains around the support and attach to the foot of the hi-lift, fasten the very top to something stationary (I attached a recovery rope to the hitch of a truck), and crank. The line will become taught and should straighten the support with every crank.

Worked great on an Acura that found its way into a tree...

thanks guys I will be trying this after I fab some new shock mounts on my dd ha ha

you could always wrap a strap or a chain around a solid pole or bigass tree, and attach it to the area that seems to have taken the first impact. then back the truck up straight away from the pole, while someone watches to see the area that is being pulled, so you know when to stop and how well it is working.

redneck frame puller :D

Not gone yet but stripped mostley. I need it gone though

Back