• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a suggestion on tires...

poorboy_616

NAXJA Forum User
Yes, I have searched....

Some time soon I am going to get rid of the mall crawler tires that are on my 87. I want suggestions of what to get.

What works best for a DD that is driven on sand half the time? I was thinking a good set of All Terrain's. but I am also up for other suggestions...

BTW, I will be keeping the stock size. 225-75/15

It has Marshall A/S's on it now, they seem to do okay until you hit soft sand, and then they have very reduced grip (as in, if your not already in 4wd, your screwed....). Seeming as the beach aproach by my place is mostly rutted loose sand I would like something that gets better "grip" in the sand.....

I would say BFG All-Terrain, and go with the 235-75-15 it will offer a little more flotation in sand.

Thank you!!

Slightly taller too, would help int he deeper ruts....

I was thinking about using BFG's. They seem to have a good tread pattern for DD and Sand.

When I finally get the money up to get new tires, I may just go that route, but I am still open to all suggestions...

Another vote for the BFG's. 12K on mine and they still look brand new!

i gotta say the BFGs are great tires, but, i have to through in the MAXXIS bighorns. im currently running a set in the 235/75/15 flavor and absolutly love them. ive been daily driving them and wheelin' the crap out of them for just a smidge over a year. i never hear alot of yap about them and im not sure why. never heard anything bad about them either. so there ya go. my 2 cents and change.

I have Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour's and I love them. Quiet on the road, great in the snow, and have no issues in the dirt. Not much sand here!!! Kinda spendy, but well worth it, I have put 25k on mine and still are doing great. They do have a special going on a Goodyear right now, about $80 back.
Enjoy:eeks1:

BFGs are tight. I want a set. But I just got a set of Goodyear Wrangler Radials (235/75/15) for $285 balanced. I like the tread pattern, looks like a snow tire, nice side lugs too. But Goodyears don't last very long, at least in my experience, and that excludes MTRs.

Last edited:
I can readily get BFG's through Costco here locally. I may just do that. If I can get the rest of my money for my Mazda, and the money from the spare set of rims, I may just have a new set of tires here soon......

poorboy_616 said:
I can readily get BFG's through Costco here locally. I may just do that. If I can get the rest of my money for my Mazda, and the money from the spare set of rims, I may just have a new set of tires here soon......
That's where I got mine from, and the Bridgestone's I had before, as well as the ones on the KJ right now. Hard to beat the prices and what you get. I was even lucky enough to talk the tire manager into putting 31's on mine, even though they're not supposed to go above OEM size :D

We have had good luck with the BFG touring tires on our 94 Chrysler T&C, so I would feel comfortable using them.

The van is currently on it's second set in 3 years. The first set were nail victims, this current set is brand spankin new, now that the construction is done in the neighborhood, this set should last longer than 3 years......

Back