• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How important is the hoses coming off my Front Diff?

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
So when I was on my Moab trip just a few days ago my Trans Temp sensor came off and when I was under there to put it back on I saw that the vent tube for the front diff that goes up into the engine bay was worn down to the point of almost being cut in half in the area from the axle to the body. Is this something that I should fix now or is it no big deal?

I'd get some new line and run it high in engine bay, unless you like water in your diff.
Plugging vent line you will build pressure in diff, no line will suck up water as it cools through water crossings.

will any line work or am I going to need to get some pre molded line? does it pulg into any thing in the engine bay?

i feel that it is fairly important. if that line was to come off/ be torn, it could alow dirt, grit etc to get into your diff and to make its way into your bearings and gears. with that said however, i have known of some people that drive theirs with the vent hose disconnected.

the fix is quick and simple. just find the correct size hose and swap the old one for the new one.

edit: on my 95 it routes up the fire wall and connects to a plastic valve adjacent to the main wiring harness that goes horizontally on the fire wall. talk to the guys at your local NAPA and they can get you the size of hose you need. to find the length you need either remove the old hose and measure or take a piece of rope and run it the same path then measure the rope. i believe any hose will work as it doesnt see much pressure and doesnt carry fuel.

hth
stewie

Last edited:
Mine got tangled up with the front driveshaft one day and grabed and beat the hell out of my O2 sensor wiring harness and shorted it out the exhaust manifold in the process. Be carefull that you tie it down good on the upper end on one or two places!

On the 87 I think it is just 1/4" ID emissions/vacuum hose. There is one on both differentials on 4x4s.

And if the vent is not plugged, or hosed up it WILL leak diffy fluid. Trust me!

Last edited:
the fluid just got changed about 1,000 miles back....

Magus2727 said:
the fluid just got changed about 1,000 miles back....
Surely you've heard an ounce of prevention is worth than a pound of cure

If you were wheeling or running any highway miles, I would.
Around the neighborhood, nah.
What's a couple $.

does any one know what size the I.D. and O.D of the hose would be for a 95' 4x4?

Back