• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got another XJ, need some help with its "issues"

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Okay got my trail Jeep today and trying to go ahead and get a few issues solved asap. I'll just type each "issue":

1. Leak from the steering poxr or one of the hose I believe. The old owner said it was one of the hoses and he just kept an eye on the fluid level, well that be great but half the engine compartment is stained from something wet flying around. Here are some pics:

You can see the engine was damp/crudy from something, but not "wet":

engine1.jpg

engine3.jpg

engine2.jpg

steeringbox.jpg

2. The dman Jeep is at about 5" of lift and no SYE( wow) anywhy it of course vibes some. My question is do I drain the fluid look for metal and the ndo an HD SYE, or just not waste the coin (cause it may go out early) and get a RE HnT? I've been happy with mine on my 242.

3. The Jeep has no bumpsteer, but does have some shimmy at 55-60 (tires/wheels), but when I am driving I notice when I hit a big gap in the road or seam the jeep will kinda slide to the left some, the steering doesn't have any bumpsteer, its liek the whole front of the Jeep. I am guessing its from the crappy Rustys stuff (LCA/UCA, tracbar and steering) or maybe alignment.

Any other suggestions?

4. I noticed the oil pressure would vary alot, but so did the engine temp guage too. Should I be a little worried or is it just screwed up guages? The oil pressure would be about 40-42 and drop to 15 or so stopped. May need more oil?

5. and this concerns me a good bit. This Jeep stops horrid, the pedal just keeps going to the floor almost and just slooooowly comes to a stop. Now my 99 on 35s can stop 2x as well and the pedal feel is great. So I have hardle any ideas, the brake fluid is full BUT he did just ge ta rebuilt rear axle put in and he said he knew the lines wern't bleeded, could air in the lines cause ****ty braking, I mean horrid.

Thats it...

100_14091.jpg

Just a hunch, but I'd say with a "wet" engine bay and mushy, soft brakes, I'd check for a brake fluid leak first and then see if it is the steering. Good Luck!

mrbill3 said:
Just a hunch, but I'd say with a "wet" engine bay and mushy, soft brakes, I'd check for a brake fluid leak first and then see if it is the steering. Good Luck!

Well that drop of the steering box and hose was a kinda orange color, is that brake though? The brake resivoir was/is full.

Could be air in your break lines. Get a bleeder kit or a buddy to help you and bleed them. You can bleed them by yourself with a hose tightly connected to the bleed nipple and submerged in a jar with some break fluid in it. Make sure you keep your reservoir topped off while doing it.

I just did brakes the other day, I didn't bleed them right at first because I was in a hurry to get an inspection, and I noticed that the pedal went down fairly easy, but after pumping it some I got a hard pedal. The inspection guy even noticed, I then rebled them and my pedal was nice and hard, and stopped great. It is definitely because they weren't bled right, so just start there, remember, start with the farthest away from the master clynder (back right)

your steering leak is probably the pressure line. I had one that did the dame thing and would only spray fluid when the wheel was turned to full lock. I replaced the hose with one from Advance and it was about $20.

As for your "wobble" I would start with a tire balance and an alignment and go from there.

Bleed those brakes! You may also want to consider the 95 or 96 booster and mc conversion.

Check the oil pressure sending unit and make sure it is screwed in all the way and check for oil around the filter. There are 3 o-rings in the adapter for the filter that commonly fail. They are a dealer only item that should run you about $10.

Jess said:
your steering leak is probably the pressure line. I had one that did the dame thing and would only spray fluid when the wheel was turned to full lock. I replaced the hose with one from Advance and it was about $20.

As for your "wobble" I would start with a tire balance and an alignment and go from there.

Bleed those brakes! You may also want to consider the 95 or 96 booster and mc conversion.

Check the oil pressure sending unit and make sure it is screwed in all the way and check for oil around the filter. There are 3 o-rings in the adapter for the filter that commonly fail. They are a dealer only item that should run you about $10.

Hey man thanks, can you be a little more specific to where the oil pressure sending unit is and how to go about changing the busted line? (The line that seems to be the issue is on the run up under the fand to somwhere around the radiator, but who knows it pretty damp in there.

Sorry I ma just not use to do anything other than changing fluids and thats it, just now getting a Jeep that needs a few fixes.

91 Jeep Project said:
Has the frame rail been "repaired" right here?

engine2.jpg

Yes this guy did the oposite of me. I always get an SYE on before lifting and always a dd a brace and well this guy didn't. Its getting CROK plate like my 99 or either a good bumper soon.

ANything else come to mind? I can get more pics also.

oil pressure sending unit is next to the filter...about three inches long and round with wires out of the end.

power steering hose is off the back of the power steering pump...have someone turn the wheel all the way and watch...if it is like mine was the fluid will spray everywhere and you can track it down

It may help to spot where the leak is coming from to remove the air box first.

ZachMan said:
4. I noticed the oil pressure would vary alot, but so did the engine temp guage too. Should I be a little worried or is it just screwed up guages? The oil pressure would be about 40-42 and drop to 15 or so stopped. May need more oil?

Your oil pressure sounds fine. Oil pressure of 15 psi at idle is normal after you engine warms up.

Jess said:
oil pressure sending unit is next to the filter...about three inches long and round with wires out of the end.

power steering hose is off the back of the power steering pump...have someone turn the wheel all the way and watch...if it is like mine was the fluid will spray everywhere and you can track it down

It may help to spot where the leak is coming from to remove the air box first.

Thank you so much man.

:sunshine:

Guess I should still feel good about the buy, it was only 3k and everything seems like the guy said excpet handling is quit bad compared to my bigger Jeep.

Any other suggestions?

Back