• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this?

md11fan

NAXJA Forum User
Soo.. On my 88 XJ today i installed my new battery and noticed that one of the lines leading into the engine had come un-done. Tried putting it back together but no luck then i looked into the hole and what was there was suprising there looked to be little metal shards just chillen there so i took some needle nose plyers and had myself a look!
Here is what the line im talking about i think its a vacum line, not sure but it ran into my airbox and it has been disconnected for a couple months or so.

Enginecopy.jpg

i have a RENIX so the my engine looks a little different. So i pulled like 3inches of coiled up metal shards and found out that it was the tip of the iceburg. There was more way more probably a good fist sized of this thing pulled it out and looked at it, my first thaught was maybe like valve, or piston shards I dont know this is what it looked like.

09-05-08_2237.jpg

Please if anyone know what it is, where its from, or what i should do with it please do tell.

robot pubes? sorry man... couldn't help it. I can't imagine wtf that is unless it's from the inside of a hose that deteriorated.:dunno:

wow, that can't be good...

on the bright side, you have an amazingly clean engine!

I agree that doesn't look good. That hose from the airbox to the valve cover is a crankcase vent tube...so any fumes from the vavle cover get cycled into the airbox. Although your engine compartment looks a little dif than my 89. Maybe because yours is converted to the open cooling system (you have a real radiator cap and normal overflow tank I see). The valve train in below that tube where it connect to the valve cover. I would pull the valve cover off and be prepared for what else you find. Does the engine rattle or knock or do you have any detectable valve float? I'll cross my fingers for you man.
Baja Curt

BajaCurt said:
I would pull the valve cover off and be prepared for what else you find. Does the engine rattle or knock or do you have any detectable valve float? I'll cross my fingers for you man.
Baja Curt

X2. Do what he said. That does not look too good.

Looks like someone stuck some steel wool in the valve cover? Maybe to slow down blow by? Can't image that is something coming apart in the engine! Please let us know.

FordGuy said:
Looks like someone stuck some steel wool in the valve cover? Maybe to slow down blow by? Can't image that is something coming apart in the engine! Please let us know.

That is exactly what I was thinking

Many years ago, breather caps came stuffed with the "pubes". Remember them from my gas jockey days. JumpThis and jeeperjohn are correct.

Back