• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

used welders

craigs list. i found a nearly new lincoln stick welder (AC, DC+, DC-) for $200. check other places like your local classifieds, yard sales, ebay and also look into machine/welding shops that are closing down or cycling through equipment.

it may take some time to find the one that fits your needs.

Check out your local Tech schools. I went to school to get my cert in welding and we cycled threw welders all the time.

x2 on craigslist or repair shops.

I always see shops going out of business selling theyre tools

and repair shops always seem to have some used ones for decent prices.

scored a Miller CST 250 of ebay for 545.00. Pretty sure thats a smoking deal. It's an Arc/Tig setup with the arc power clamp but I'll put a Tig torch and foot pedal on it along with gas setup of course. 250amps should have enough for anything I need. There was a similar one on ebay that went for $8-900 with out the welding leads. :greensmok

scored a Miller CST 250 of ebay for 545.00. Pretty sure thats a smoking deal. It's an Arc/Tig setup with the arc power clamp but I'll put a Tig torch and foot pedal on it along with gas setup of course. 250amps should have enough for anything I need. There was a similar one on ebay that went for $8-900 with out the welding leads. :greensmok

That was a good price but I usually buy CL because I want to test a used machine before I buy it......I just got a backup welder on CL, a Miller 250, 8-9 years old but with an $8-900 spool gun never used all for $1000......There are so few moving parts on a welder there isn't nuch to go wrong with them unless they were thrown around alot and the boards are torn up, another reason to see it before you buy it.

What are some good features to look for in a used welder? I know enough to avoid 120v MIG units, beyond that I'm pretty clueless. I'd like to get one I can practice with. I'm probably not going to do any fine body work, although I guess you never know. My dream is to fab my own bumpers.

What are some good features to look for in a used welder? I know enough to avoid 120v MIG units, beyond that I'm pretty clueless. I'd like to get one I can practice with. I'm probably not going to do any fine body work, although I guess you never know. My dream is to fab my own bumpers.

There is a few good 120v mig units. A snap-on muscle mig 140sl is a sweet little (not really, it's almost as big as my millermatic 35) 120v welder. So are the millermatic 135/140's The nice thing about the snap-on is that it can be run at a 100% duty cycle, and it has a tig option.

As for 220v machines, you can't go wrong with a 175/180 unit. They will work great for just about everything you will need to weld. However, it's always nice to have a little more power too, like the 210-250 amp machines. Not really needed, but well worth their price tag. You can find these guys for around 800-1500 used.

Justin

Don't be immediately scared away if it isn't the latest and greatest model either. The Backup Miller I just got is a 250 Millermatic, the new one is a 251 and completely digital, makes things a tad easier to tune but the 250 can weld circles around a new unit that you can buy for the same money as the used......

There is a few good 120v mig units. A snap-on muscle mig 140sl is a sweet little (not really, it's almost as big as my millermatic 35) 120v welder. So are the millermatic 135/140's The nice thing about the snap-on is that it can be run at a 100% duty cycle, and it has a tig option.

Justin

I got my Millermatic 135 on CL for $225 :D.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=968959

Thank you craigslist (ie mark for watching CL)!!!!

What would a good entry level welder be for someone with 0 experiance? I've helped my friend weld a differential, but it wasn't enough to call for experiance.

Its not that you want an entry level welder at all. A good high quality welder will make life easier right from the start. It will cost you more but it won't be money wasted because you just want to replace it later.....

That was a good price but I usually buy CL because I want to test a used machine before I buy it......I just got a backup welder on CL, a Miller 250, 8-9 years old but with an $8-900 spool gun never used all for $1000......There are so few moving parts on a welder there isn't nuch to go wrong with them unless they were thrown around alot and the boards are torn up, another reason to see it before you buy it.

CL doesn't help me much as it's not used much in SD. Looking at the welder, it doesn't have a gas solenoid built in so I'll need to get a torch with the valve on it.

Looking at the rest of the gear I need to get it's going to be another 5-600 for the cables, torch, helmet, tank, etc.

Back