• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

limited slip or locker

93xjpos

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought an 88 parts rig thats not running. i just wanna get it striped the guy told me it has a posi rearend how can i tell if its limted slip or locker? without getting it running first

there may be a sticker in the glove box that tells you

3024245_45_full.jpg
Sticker in the glovebox or a tag on the axle that reads "Use limited slip lube only".

Also, jack both sides off the ground (trans in nuetral) and spin one tire, if they spin the same direction, it's at least an LSD.

Remove the diff cover and look inside. Not all Limited slip equipped Cherokees have the glove box sticker or extra axle tag that says Friction Modifier Required. Open diff on the left, Limited Slip on the right. A lunch-box locker will look like the open diff but will have no spider gears. A true locker will be shaped more like the one on the right, but will have no opening cut into it like where you see the spider gears.

standard.jpg

Back