• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

great deal on axles

casper4x4

NAXJA Forum User
alright so as you may know my front axle has gone to crap
DSC00175.jpg

I spent a hour or so lookin up on craigslist.com for some new axles in my area and found these. http://ventura.craigslist.org/pts/669667970.html
I went to meet up with the guy today to take a look at them, and here is the news that i got. They were for his buddy and his buddy had some new gears put in them for his project jeep and ended up going with bigger axles. He had put a tru trac locker in the rear and he wasnt quite sure on the gearing ratio. So we opened them up and found that the front is geared at 4 88s and the rear is geared at 4 10 w/ the locker. There were some things missing and some parts that needed work like the brakes for the rear, new mounts for the rear, the brake work up front and a few other things. So i pointed out the flaws of the axles and offered the guy 200.00 for both of them and a extra set of 4:10 gears.

So i guess you can say i am pretty darn stoaked on the deal that i just got. Now my question to all of you is what gear ratio do i stick with? I am currently running 3 54s on 31s and plan on going to 33s for sure and maybe 35s later on in the future but that i am not sure.
Alonzo

Jump This said:
You missed my humor...
He has one with 4:88 and one with 4:10.....

You have humor Rick??? :dunno: j/k

I thought you were just recommending 4.56 regardless of what he had. :dunce:

33's 4.56
35's 4.88

JMO.

:)

ya i have a ZJ ( i know this is the xj forum, but you guys are more local and helpful than the nagca forum ). So i think i may just go with the 4 10s. it may just be the easier route for me to go.

casper4x4 said:
ya i have a ZJ ( i know this is the xj forum, but you guys are more local and helpful than the nagca forum ). So i think i may just go with the 4 10s. it may just be the easier route for me to go.

Its because XJ's are Teh shit alonzo duh! But your ZJ is nice to!
and back to the d35!:paperwork anyways go 4.10 with the 33 for now untell you can do the full 4.56 swap. Then hit me up and lets go WHeel!

ATTN

holy shit so i was layin down and had a great idea and may save me some money. Alright so i figured that i stay with the 4 10s and the locker in the rear and to save me some money i could just go to a junk yard and find a old xj with stock 4 10 gears in them alreayd cant i? And did that kind of gearing come in the hp30s or the d30s?
Alonzo:repair:

Re: ATTN

casper4x4 said:
holy shit so i was layin down and had a great idea and may save me some money. Alright so i figured that i stay with the 4 10s and the locker in the rear and to save me some money i could just go to a junk yard and find a old xj with stock 4 10 gears in them alreayd cant i? And did that kind of gearing come in the hp30s or the d30s?
Alonzo:repair:

Yes some XJ's came with 4.10's in the HP 30, mostly the 4cyl model..

Re: ATTN

Clean-RC said:
Yes some XJ's came with 4.10's in the HP 30, mostly the 4cyl model..
Grab me one whille you're at it.

I'm on 4.10's with 33's. Mainly because I found an HP 4.10 front axle in a 4cyl 93. Rear is a D44. I wouldn't go above a 31 with the stock D35. Also, the D44's for the ZJ had an aluminum center section and weren't strong either. I snapped a stock shaft in my 44 with the 33's on Claw back in November, wasn't doing anything hard. IMHO sell those two axles and get a front HP30 to fix your broken one, then get a 44 or something stronger for the rear.

4 cylinder xjs came out with the 4 10 gears.. this axle i got here has no tag on it and it came out of a 4 cylinder jeep cherokee and i have the extra set of 4 10 gears, would this mean that the front axle i have is a hp30 already? If so that year of jeeps, what kind of rear axle did they have?

Back