• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throttle valve cable

wacky

NAXJA Forum User
info:
2000 xj with auto

So, with my precise wrenching technique when doing a head gasket job I accidentally snapped the plastic fitting on the end of this cable at the throttle body. Is there a way to replace this tiny plastic piece without having to replace the whole friggin cable??

I would say either way to do it right you're stuck replacing the whole thing, this is not an area where I would trust anything cobbled together. The question is...is it actually the TV cable that connects to the transmission or is it the throttle or cruise cable?

I know this is a long shot.

In the older days. A broken throttle cable could be fixed by using a fishing sinker and a little solder. Crimp sinker in place as long as you have enough cable to do so...Then a touch of solder to make sure its not coming off the cable.

Just an idea...

Well, the throttle body only has 2 cables attached to it. I know for sure one connects to the accelerator pedal....
the other (broken one) seems to snake behind the engine and down towards the auto-tranny.

There is no cruise control cable like on my 99 manual tranny xj.

that would be the transmission kickdown cable. forces the transmission into a lower gear when under higher acceleration. the sinker method won't work too well as the plastic piece was fed over the cable, and clipped over a "T" shaped piece on the throttle linkage.

h2opete987 said:
that would be the transmission kickdown cable. forces the transmission into a lower gear when under higher acceleration. the sinker method won't work too well as the plastic piece was fed over the cable, and clipped over a "T" shaped piece on the throttle linkage.

Actually the transmission cable on the AW4 controls the internal hydraulic pressure, hence the shift firmness. The actual shift points are controlled by the trans computer based on throttle position and rpms. The term "kickdown cable" is really only appropriate for the older non-computer controlled trannies.

So does anyone know the answer to the OPs question. Can he fix this plastic piece w/o replacing the whole thing? Back on topic plz.

bgred2 said:
I went to he junkyard and cut a throttle cable so I could remove the plastic fitting. Then I cut the end off of my cable, slid the broken one off and the new one on. I then used a throttle stop http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=140201489693#ebayphotohosting
to replace the end that I snipped off to allow the new piece to slide on.

EXACTLY what i was thinking but could not (for some reason) put into words. so... X2^^

Back