• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spyder gears

jonnyghost

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, lets start off by admitting that yes, sometimes I have brain damage!

I did wheel bearings last night on my 8 1/4 axle. I accidently turned the axle with the pin that goes in the carrier out and gears that ride on that pin fell out.

Looking stuff up today it apears that there would have been thrust washers behind them. I didn't see anything else fall out but...

Questions:
Are there indeed thrust washers behind those gears?
If so could they have been stuck to the back of the gear so that I didn't notice them when I put the gears back in?

I also noticed that those gears and the pin/shaft are a little sloppy. Like if you turn the axle back and forth you can see play between the gears and shaft and the shaft and carrier.

jonnyghost said:
Ok, lets start off by admitting that yes, sometimes I have brain damage!

I did wheel bearings last night on my 8 1/4 axle. I accidently turned the axle with the pin that goes in the carrier out and gears that ride on that pin fell out.

Looking stuff up today it apears that there would have been thrust washers behind them. I didn't see anything else fall out but...

Questions:
Are there indeed thrust washers behind those gears? Yes
If so could they have been stuck to the back of the gear so that I didn't notice them when I put the gears back in? yes

I also noticed that those gears and the pin/shaft are a little sloppy. Like if you turn the axle back and forth you can see play between the gears and shaft and the shaft and carrier.
Normal.

There are washers behind the spider gears and there are thrust washers behind the side gears.

Wayne

i think i have some laying around from when i put my locker in ill see if i still got them ill snap some pics for you when i get home today from workl

jonnyghost said:
how big is the washer behind the spider gears?
Same size as the back of the gear.Most of the time they stick so tight you don,t even know that they are there.

Wayne

Back