• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weirdo electrical door lock question on my '90?

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

So this seems strange to me, so here we go......

Last week, I went to New York, left my XJ at the airport. When I returned, my car battery was totally dead, I left on my dome light for four days!!!

I had my buddy give me jump and it started up. But, ever since, the electric door locks don't unlock anymore when I turn the Jeep off. Before the battery died, the jeep would lock when I started it, and would unlock when I turned it off. NOW, it just locks when I start it, but won't unlock.

Not a big deal, but it is annoying. Is there a way to make it not lock when you start it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciate it,

Thanks,
Bob:wow:

you might want to start by checking fuses and connections in the door. It is not exactly on topic but try searching (IIRC) "greg smith". He has a good writeup about common door lock and unlock problems. It does not really deal with your problem but you may come across some relevant info.

Is that the factory system? My '88 has PDL and RKE and it never did that.

When I got it, the PO didn't have the fobs, so I added an aftermarket unit. It offers that feature but I have it disabled.

As far as I know it is stock. I did the Greg Smith relay update so that all the locks would lock, but it always has locked the doors when you start it, and would unlock the doors when you turn it off. Now, the doors stay locked when you turn it off. Seems strange that it changed when the battery went dead!!!!

Back