• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horn only works with key in ACC position...

Mudd

NAXJA Forum User
'88 XJ, tilt column.

I was having trouble turning the key lock cylinder to the start position. Something mechanical was getting stuck. I pulled the steering wheel and most of the goodies hiding behind it. I also dropped the column and pulled the ignition switch. After reinstalling and adjusting the ignition switch the original problem was cured. I reassembled the whole mess and everything works fine. Almost.

Now my horn only works with the key in the ACC position. I know the '88 horn does not work with the key OFF. But it should work in both the ON or ACC positions.

I'm looking at the appropriate wiring diagrams from the '88 FSM and my brain cannot comprehend what I am looking at. I don't understand what these diagrams are trying to tell me. The way I'm reading it power goes to the horn relay with the key in the ACC or START position. That makes no sense.

The ignition switch does everything else properly. It just won't power the horn in the ON position. Sound like a bad contact within the ignition switch?

Not that big of a deal, I just hate unsolved mysteries...

ignition-switch.jpg

horn.jpg

The same brn wire also feeds washer/wipers heater and Turn signals, do those all work in run. If so it's not the switch.

But your right to be confused it should be drawn like this I'm sure.

igncorrected.jpg

Last edited:
Back