• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sputters for a bit after start up when throttle applied.

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep always starts right up, no problems. When it's been setting for a while, it'll still start fine, but as soon as I apply throttle, it will spit and sputter for 10-15 seconds....then it'll run like a top. All will be just fine until it sets for a period of time. Then, it'll do the same thing. I have replaced the fuel filter, thinking that may have something to do with it.(Not to mention it needed changed anyway) I'm not much of an engine guy, so I'm not real sure where to start. I've not checked anything yet. Any help is apperciated! :cheers:

96' 4.0

Thanks guys!

Hale

My 88 does that too sometimes. I just started a thread about it yesterday...the only suggestion I got was to check the TPS.

Jeepm@n said:
X2 on the throttle position sensor. When was the last time it was tuned up? i.e. plugs cap rotor wires filters O2 sensor.

2 1/2 -3 years ago.

I have the exact same problem.... I've completed a trany flush, Replaced TP and adjusted it, installed new cap/rotor, wires, and plugs..... The other day I hooked it up to a scan tool and got a P0351 code which is a misfire on Primary Circuit Ignition coil #1......Well it only has 1 ignition coil, so I'm looking into a high performance coil... but cant seem to find one.... any suggestions??? (sorry if i kinda hi-jacked post....)

Hale

My Problem is similiar been searching all morning. I thought i had the problem fixed by changing the TPS didnt have any problems till this big rain storm the midwest had. Running like poo again sputters and dies at almost every stop and is hesitating poorly at a slow acceleration. I am thinking that water is somehow making its way to the TPS. I also replaced the Ignition Swtich sitting on top of the steering column because it was melted. Some times the truck runs great then it will just start a sputtering spell. I finally parked it this morning and drove the commander to work.

Rev Den said:
Stop buying your gas at Wal-Mart

Rev

Hucks is where I buy my fuel. No pumps at Wal-Mart here.

im having a similar issue with mine. seems to be a virus going around right now :(

lol but seriously, someone speak up if you've found a solution to your problem, maybe it will work for some of the rest of us!

RedHeep said:
Wait 10-15 seconds, then drive.

Problem solved.

I've tried that. It can idle for 3-4 minutes and then as soon as I hit the throttle, it sputters.

How's the fuel pressure? Is it possible you have a dead spot on the new TPS"? How were the connections on the plug? Any corrosion? Have you cleaned out the throttle body lately or the (IAC) Idle Air Control solenoid? I'm not there sorry. I'm pretty good normally at electrical or electronics. Have you checked the main wiring harness by the firewall? My friends Jeep had a wire shorting to ground there. Check the O2 wire harness they have a tendency to short out due to melting about 12-14" up from the plug. Good Luck guy's
:compwork:
Just some idea's to kick around.

I know in my case, Ive completed a MotorVac on entire upper engine (used actual MotorVac machine) Used my DVOM to check connections and sensor, all are good. Tried different gas (octanes) from different stations, Have excellent fuel pressure..... Have an Accel Ignition coil ordered... gona see what that does....

I found the problem on mine. I attempted to drive my waggie to work yesterday. And it sputtered an limp out and barely made it a full block. So i parked it and drove my Commander. My wife parked my waggie in the garage last night. :twak: I never park it in the garage anymore. And she(the waggie) Drove like poo. When i parked it i left it outside in the weather all day. I get home from work and she starts and runs fine. Even loaded the family into and went to the movies last night (IRon man is AWESOME). I think my jeep got spoiled for that one night in the garage. :attom:

Good solution there Stryker. I'll go build mine a garage today so that I don't have this sputtering problem. No I take that back GREAT SOLUTION.

90Blue_XJ said:
Good solution there Stryker. I'll go build mine a garage today so that I don't have this sputtering problem. No I take that back GREAT SOLUTION.

No when I parked it in the garage she ran like poo. Once i took it out and let it sit in the weather for like 8 hours she decided to drive perfectly again. More less a coincidence i am sure but havnt had any more problems yet!!! I am leaving it outside though till it happens again.

Im having the same sort of problem, so to speak.

Mine can occur once a week, once every 20 mins. Ive replaced TPS, IGN Coil, IGM module, plugs.

I tracked mine to ignition because of the exhaust smell when it goes awry and it bucks like its running on less than 6 stellar cylinders. Tonite I did wires on it and Ill post my findings in the morn. Im lead to believe that the wires were my cause because only 2 came off without a fight, the rest had the wire pull from the boot with minimal force, a gentle tug to move them slightly.

The only common element I see in this thread of problems is they are all jeeps!:shiver:

You guys need to get your own threads, too many stories here to sort through.:confused1

But for the common causes here is a list.

Anything that can be intermittent, like a fuel injector that is not bad, but occasionally acting up, dirt, carbon, too hot vapor lock, etc. Also a bad plug wire that occasionally arcs to ground, but not always. Worn caps and rotors. carbon fouling of an O2 sensor that comes and goes (intermitant), which is usally solved by a good injector, throttle body and IAC cleaning with carburator or fuel injector cleaner or seafoam.

Also the main engine sensors like the TPS, CTS, MAT (also called IAT) can cause these problems. Thay don't just die, they slowly go bad and develop temperatures where they give bad enough data to cause engine misses. Sometimes the computer will figure out the sensor data is off and ignor it for a while and go to open loop operation where the miss stops.

Cheapest and best solution is inspect parts, replace any that are visually past their usefullness, then use a volt ohm meter to test the rest of them to find out which ones are out of spec, then replace the out spec parts only. The FSMs, and many threads here list the proper voltages and resistances for most of the Jeep sensors.

Back