• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar-axle mount

rockjockphatts

NAXJA Forum User
When mounting a new trackbar onto the axle mount, (I am using the poly bushing with a metal sleeve shorter than the bushing) is it permissable to allow the mounting point to pinch the bushing rather than the metal sleeve.

Let me elaborate: with all other bushings: LCA, UCA, ETC., the tightening of the bolt seems to tighten the mount onto the metal sleeve...in my case with the trackbar, the mount pinches down on the poly bushing (it's alot thicker than the bar itself and the old rubber bushing), there's actually no way to fit the bushing/t.bar combo into the mount without prying the mount apart slightly.

Do I need to grind off some of the bushing to reduce its profile so that the mount pinches down onto the sleeve or due to the lack of rotational movement on the bushing is it no big deal?

THanks

Sure, you just want the track bar to be able to move and "flex". No need to grind down the bushing, it would probably just do more damage than good.

one more reason I don not like poly bushings. You can shave it down some but Id just press the sleeve out and head to the hardware store and get one the right length and press it in then use it. the mount should be a little snug but not so tight the track bar can not move.

rockjockphatts said:
When mounting a new trackbar onto the axle mount, (I am using the poly bushing with a metal sleeve shorter than the bushing) is it permissable to allow the mounting point to pinch the bushing rather than the metal sleeve.

Let me elaborate: with all other bushings: LCA, UCA, ETC., the tightening of the bolt seems to tighten the mount onto the metal sleeve...in my case with the trackbar, the mount pinches down on the poly bushing (it's alot thicker than the bar itself and the old rubber bushing), there's actually no way to fit the bushing/t.bar combo into the mount without prying the mount apart slightly.

Do I need to grind off some of the bushing to reduce its profile so that the mount pinches down onto the sleeve or due to the lack of rotational movement on the bushing is it no big deal?

THanks

That's kind of the problem, the mount on the axle was wallowed when I replaced the track bar, so I went with a larger bolt/nut combo, accordingly I had to find a different sleeve than the one provided with the bushing itself. however, the sleeve provided with the bushing was also to short. My only recourse, at this point I think, is to grind off some of each half of the bushing making the unit (Track bar and bushing) narrower which allows the sleeve to protrude a small amount from the bushing.

What do you think????

You need to find out why it doesn't fit.Who's trackbar is it?They should fit perfectly at the sleeve and bushing.How did the stock one fit?

Well now what do you mean, they should fit perfectly?

It's not that the bushing/track bar combo doesn't fit. It's a Spicer stock replacement part. Due to the wallowed axle mount hole, I decided to go with a larger diameter bolt. When trying to determine what to then do with the original bushing (the inner sleeve inside diameter was too small for the bolt) I destroyed the bushing-accidentally. As a result, I purchased a 2 piece poly bushing from NAPA. Worked great, the sleeve that came with the bushing was again too small of an inside diameter, however, the local hardware store had a sleeve that was the same outer diameter but a thinner metal resulting in the desired inner diameter-bingo.

The question, that is being posed is this. Normally with an oem style bushing, there is no contact between the bushing and the mount. With the poly bushing there is due to the 1/8" plus lip on the outside of each half.

Follow this link and you'll see on the bottom of each half-that's the lip I'm referring to.
http://info.rockauto.com/Moog/Detail.html?K3176_TOP.jpg

Due to this lip, the entire t-bar and bushing are pinched into the mount, then tightened. IS THIS A PROBLEM? (that's the point of all of this rigamaroll) The metal sleeves, both my sleeve and the sleeve provided with the product do not and did not extend through the bushing so that metal was exposed on either side of the bushing like I've seen with many other bushings on the jeep.

Sorry for the winded description, I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time, I'm just trying to make the ride more bearable and still trying to scare that damn dWabble away. This isn't the source, at least anymore, I just want to know if the current setup is ok...

thanks

If you were to shave down some of the poly bushing to make the metal insert come in contact first how much would you have to shave down? I would venture to say that if you only had to shave like a mm or 2 off each side it shouldn't be a big problem. Biggest thing is when it's in there you want the trackbar to be able to rotate pretty well.

from the blurry pic it looks like there's more bushing sticking out on the axle side of the bar when compared to the side away from the axle. Here's how mine looks with the regular rubber bushings.
47b8db31b3127ccea835502d095e00000026101AZuWTZi3Ysu

Back