• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this

92XJR3D

NAXJA Forum User
Well i am making a front bumper for my xj and this was under my front pasenger headlight and the line conecting to it has vacume. is it ok if i get rid off it and plug the end where it creates vacum? or is it vital to the system

bottlejeep.jpg

Georgia Mike said:
Vacuum canister. You need to keep it. Just zip tie or bolt it to the backside of the front x-member and it's all good.
Theres a recent thread about this you may want to search....try it under "blimp thing". i pluged the line and had no ill effects so i just left mine off. what it is is a vaccume reservor for vaccume activated valves (heater control valve, a/c vents changing from vent /defrost/feet) so that there is enough vaccume available durring low engine rpm ( low rpm means low vac.) for them to work all the time.

finn188 said:
Theres a recent thread about this you may want to search....try it under "blimp thing". i pluged the line and had no ill effects so i just left mine off. what it is is a vaccume reservor for vaccume activated valves (heater control valve, a/c vents changing from vent /defrost/feet) so that there is enough vaccume available durring low engine rpm ( low rpm means low vac.) for them to work all the time.

high rpms is when you have low vacuum.

It depends on engine load, If you have near full throttle there is very little if any manifold vacuum. Doesn't really matter what the RPM's are just where the throttle plate is positioned. you will notice a diffence if you remove it. When climbing a hill your ventilation will switch to the defrost mode. That is where is defaults to when there is no vacuum.

Jerms

unplug a vacuum line at idle and listen how loud the leak is. rev the engine with your finger over the hose and feel the degrease in vacuum.

or put a vacuum gauge on it at idle and rev the engine. vacuum goes down when rpms go up.

I ripped mine off, and have been wheeling like that for about a year... Should I be concern, I have not noticed a diffrence, then again its not a daily driver..

Okay, if you want your HVAC system to work properly, keep it :laugh3:

Besides, It's not THAT hard to reroute the vacuum line and relocate the canister ;)

Oh yeah, and high RPM=low vacuum, low RPM=high vacuum.

Georgia Mike said:

Besides, It's not THAT hard to reroute the vacuum line and relocate the canister ;)

You can be coasting down a hill at 4000 RPM in second gear with the throttle plate closed and you will have full vacuum. Quite a lot actually.

On the other hand, you can be at 500 RPM's, and flick the throttle plate wide open and you will have no vacuum. It's all about the throttle plate, like Jerms said.

it also controls your ac vents. if you want air to blow in your face i suggest you keep it:lecture:

:cheers:
Danny

If it was not necessary for proper operation of the heater and A/C, the Factory would have left it off and saved the money.
As Georgia Mike suggested, it's easy to relocate it behind the crossmember. Mine is relocated in an empty space under the passenger side headlight.

Georgia Mike said:

good point. its not that hard to find a new place for it so why not just do it? i just havent gotten around to doing mine, i have cold a/c blowing out my vents when i need it so the fact that everything works the way i want it to doesnt exactly make fixing it properly a high priority.

mine fell out in an accident i had in 'o6... i had no idea what it was so i left it stuck in the grill of the 'o6 Jetta that ran into me ;)

last summer a friend showed me how the broken vacuum line still left behind under my hood switched the defroster/AC/heater vents, and plugged it with a little plastic thing... i don't have cruise control, but i haven't had any problems with it, except the AC will switch to the defroster vents when i'm going up a hill or pushing 80.

mattbred said:
You can be coasting down a hill at 4000 RPM in second gear with the throttle plate closed and you will have full vacuum. Quite a lot actually.

On the other hand, you can be at 500 RPM's, and flick the throttle plate wide open and you will have no vacuum. It's all about the throttle plate, like Jerms said.
Okay, let's get all technical and shiat :laugh:

Back