• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this common?

I would personally never allow that on anyones vehicle i cared about. Seems very dangerous. First off i dout that nylon tubing is completly rigid i'm sure with high preasures that brakes work under that nylon would expand some.

Scary really.

Jerms

If it hasn't got a SAE or DIN number associated with it, you might as well be using garden hose (for all you know).

3000 PSI is the number that popped to mind, this is what I found.

Not definitive, but it matches my assumptions. There is a rather large difference between working pressure and burst pressure, don't get them confused.

2dslpxj.png

Just some general information to throw out there. The weak point in a steel brake line (system) is often where the flare meets the original tubing. The flare can get over compressed and excessively narrow the wall thickness of the tubing. The compression can also harden the tubing at the flare, making it suseptable to cracking or vibration stress fractures.

Last edited:
I would probably only use that to plumb water to the ice maker in my refrigerator....

in2fords said:
I know I can be kinda anal about the products on my vehicle that save my life but is this just me or is this unacceptable? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lightweight-25-ft-Nylon-Brake-Line-Kit-Brass-Fittings_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33562QQihZ012QQitemZ220232844233QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Many years ago, I maintained the automatic doors in the terminals at LAX. Today automatic doors are opened and closed with electronic stepper motors but in the past; they were hydraulically operated with pressurized fluid coming from a remote pump. All of the doors were plumbed with nylon tubing, with an operating pressure around 900-1000 PSI.
We had very few leaks, most were caused by the lines rubbing on something or touching a hot object. For those reasons, I would never want to use nylon tubing in a vehicle, even if the line was rated for 3000 PSI.
Now if SAE comes up with a certified tubing system, I might change my mind. Nylon line is so easy to used in comparison to steel tubing.

I was just curious, I would never run that on a street driven rig, especially some thing that see alot of vibration, rocks and debris.

I ordered my 25' roll of brake line and a bunch of fittings last week. I needed a adapter for my clutch line and ran across that, I have never seen it used before and it scared me that it was a option for some of the dimmer bulbs that seem to work on cars out there. You never know what a previous owner will do and this adds to the scare factor.

in2fords said:
I was just curious, I would never run that on a street driven rig, especially some thing that see alot of vibration, rocks and debris.

I ordered my 25' roll of brake line and a bunch of fittings last week. I needed a adapter for my clutch line and ran across that, I have never seen it used before and it scared me that it was a option for some of the dimmer bulbs that seem to work on cars out there. You never know what a previous owner will do and this adds to the scare factor.

for a hydraulic clutch line it would probably suffice.....

It might, I would worry about it near the exhaust though. I allready have a SS braided line for my clutch, just need a adapter that has a female 7/16-24 JIC and a male -4AN

I found one online but am looking on Island to get it quicker.

Back