• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much steering column looseness is normal?

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
How much steering column looseness is normal? I've noticed what I consider to be too much slop, wiggle, whatever you want to call it, in my steering column. If I wiggle the wheel up and down or side to side it clunks. It seems like a lot to me. I compared it to my wife's WJ and hers feels similar. Our Saturn feels nice and tight. Is it a Jeep thing and I just haven't noticed it until now? I noticed it when I hit a bump and heard and felt it clunk recently. It's definitely the shaft moving within the column and not the whole column moving.

It's a 95 and doesn't have the GM column that's known for having the bolts come loose. It doesn't have tilt. The 95 and 96 (maybe newer too) columns aren't rebuildable (according to the FSM) and are supposed to be replaced as a unit (for $350 or so).

I can't speak for earlier models, but every 97+ I have driven (6 of them) has been tight...no shaft movement inside the column.

That's kind of what I thought. What an awful design, being non-serviceable. Stupid engineers (I'm one so I get to say that :) ). But seriously though, that sucks. I need to replace the columns on both my 95 XJ and my wife's 00 WJ. Seems like a bad design to me.

Back