• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

battery seems dead

joedurt1

NAXJA Forum User
left xj parked over the weekend and when I tried to start it, it appears to have no power whatsoever. no lights, nothing at all. I connected a battery charger and still nothing at all. I energised the headlights and while messing with the charger they came on very breifly and then back off.
I am out of town and have no tools or meters at all.
I also visually checked connections and the fuses in the compartment under the hood. They appear to be ok.
It almost seems as thought there is some kind of relay that is not kicking in when 12 volts is present.

Usually the dome lights or something wil come on with a charger attached but I got nothing.
Help!!!! I'm out of town and have no backup vehicle.

if your battery is REALLY dead, you may need to jump start the charger... sounds kinda funny, but it works. jump the battery in the xj to another battery, and put the charger on it at the same time... if the battery is just completely dead, this should fix it.

X2 on the bad connection.....
You can turn on your headlights and wiggle each battery wire hard and see if you get any flicker of light.
If you can find a wire and or a jumper cable you can use a dome light bulb and make a test light.
You can set one contact point of the bulb on the positive post of the battery.
Then connect your found wire to the ground side of the battery and then touch the other contact point of the light bulb.
You can use this method to track down problems, just don't cross your connections, it could lead to larger problems, like injury and or fire......play it safe and keep us posted.

Back