• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Morning Start Up...Spit, Spit Fire, then wont take throttle.

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
This doesnt happen too often. Every once in a while Ill start my 88 4.0 in the morning, and it will cough a few times, like it wants to start, (while Im holding the key) then when it does fire, it doesnt wind up the rpms like it should, it just goes straight to 800 or so. Then when I try to give it any kind of throttle, it will spit and pop. But if i PUNCH the throttle, to about 4000, when the idle returns to normal the problem clears up like nothing ever happened.

IAC is a year old, the Pintle and TB are all bench cleaned, and the fuel PSI is at ~32 or so. Plugs, wires, and dizzy cap and button are around a year old as well.

Any Ideas Renix Gods??

Last edited:
sounds alot like a TPS with a "dead spot" in it. try measuring the resistance with an analog volt meter and watch for a steady sweep as you manipulate the throttle by hand-- anything other than a smooth sweep would represent a dead spot. Key off, ohms scale (X1000), between B & C terminals (both plugs on automatic)

Back