• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does computer clear its own codes?: cylinder misfire

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
About a month ago i started getting the cylinder 3 misfire (hot starts) on my '01, so i replaced the plugs with the now dealer-recommended NGK's and did the injector sleeve TSB...........this cleared up the rough hot starts, so i figured that the computer would clear the code by itself and the CEL would go off....

well, its been a couple hundred miles now and the CEL is still on, but my jeep runs great.......should i go to AZ or Advance and get them to clear the code, or could something else still be wrong?

OBD 2 stores the codes & I think it needs to see like 40 restarts to clear. I may be wrong on the nunbers, but it would just be easier to have someone clear them.

My buddy was getting a misfire on his 97 after replacing the motor. Turned out all of the injectors that came with the motor were junk. Swapped on his old fuel rail, it ran great. He had to clear the codes for the check engine light to turn off.

So perhaps your problem is fixed. Get the code read and clear it, and see if it comes back. If it doesn't, woohoo!

The light will turn off the next time it is started, but the code will ALWAYS be stored until the code is cleared with a scanner or the battery is disconnected....

Last edited:
I have done some work with a Ford Taurus, 96, OBD-II, and discovered that it will clear both the check engine light and the missfire code, if it runs long enough with out any missfires. I did not think it would do that, but I went in to clear the codes after a CEL came and went, and it was clear already.

Sounds like you still have problem (the Ford taurus missfire was a compression problem, plus bad wires, bad plugs....etc) so you need to get it scanned and se what the codes are,write them down, and clear them and then see what happens. Also if it is a new code(s) dig into what it (or they) are.

AZ or Advance, among others, aren't always able to clear a code. It's a 50K warranty problem with new cars that started some lawsuits, not every store manager will ignore corporate policy on it. Some countermen, however, will caution you that "pushing this button right here on this little machine will clear it, but I can't do it. Can you hold this a minute while I check this other part under the hood?"

Be flexible.

Back