• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oem rad and vibe dampener q's...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Friends w/local Jeep parts guy, can get me new stock rad for my '98 4.0 for about $174. A bit more than aftermarkets I've found doing searches here, is this worth it for oem peace of mind?

Also, want to replace harmonic balancer and front seal while in there, parts guys says they received a tsb saying new balancers don't require oil slinger. From my FSM, I get the idea that the timing cover does not have to be removed to do the seal, seal goes in from the front, but now will the elimination of the oil slinger require pulling the cover to remove it (or can it stay there w/ new type of hb?)

Thanks, appreciate the help...

Mike

NAXJA #300

Just replaced my HB. Parts guy same me a similarly word sheet.

"when replacing 33002920 with 33002920AB tell tech to pull off the front cover and remove the damper oil slinger"

The part I actually received was 33002920AC. :shrug:

The only difference seems to be that the hub, of the 'AC', is about 0.05" longer than the old one. The 33002920AC has a hub length of 1.3" -- to fit a shaft length of ~1.2"

There are some older posts indicating that it's OK to leave the slinger in. I don't know if my '91 still has the slinger or not.

Last edited:
Bajacalal, thanks, I've dealt with DPG before for disconnects, good people,

Lou, didn't want to pull the t/c cover, what the heck... appreciate the details,

Mike

While you have the balancer off check the bolts that hold the cover on. Mine were loose and had backed out behind the balancer. Was putting a new water pump on my 98 at the time and just happened to notice it. Explained where the oil was going that I could never figure out...

Rich, bought t/c gasket f/dealer, looks like half a gasket, will check my fsm, but figuring rtv seal another portion of the cover?

The top half of the gasket is a paper gasket with 6 or 7 holes in it. The bottom half is a rubber piece that goes between the oil pan and the timing cover. I replaced my balancer a few weeks ago and left the slinger in, I wasn't aware of the fact that it needed to be removed. Everything seemed to fit ok, I did notice the balancer was a little further away from the timing cover compared to the old one, but the belt fit fine and I drove 200 miles the next day without any issues.

The two gasket pieces must come in separate plastic bags. Only got the paper one.

Thanks for the heads-up...

Hey Lou, just checked the pn of the hb I got, same as yours, wondering if the this is an "old style" that doesn't requiring removing the oil slinger. Hope so... Then won't have to get the other gasket piece...

Last edited:
I've bought 2 or three of them and they always come in a big cardboard box. Hopefully you can buy just the bottom one. If the oil pan gasket is in good shape, you may not need the bottom piece. I have a 1 piece oil pan gasket that was still good, I put a little RTV on both sides and put everything back together with just the paper one and its leak free, so far at least.

Blue, thanks for more details, but now unsure if slinger removal applies to "AC" pn too, seems Lou got the same part as I did, his sticks out a tad, which makes me think slinger is causing this, but what tsb said applies to AB pn.

Need to go back to dealer parts guy to see if this applies AC AND AB or one and not the other. And to see if I'll really need to remove slinger/get rubber piece. And to ask if there should be a new woodruff key in hb box, which there was not...

:wierd:

I don't quote remember the back of the balancer, but would you be able to measure the old one and then the length of the new one? I would assume if they are the same, the slinger stays on, if its different and the new one is longer, the slinger needs to be removed.

That makes total sense, but also makes me wonder what the factory's point of this whole "lets' ditch the slinger" and lengthen the hb thing is all about :huh:

I mean, this motor had been around for so long, and from what I've read from the more experienced forum people, the timing chain/gears aren't exactly the achilles' heel of the 4.0...

mikeny59 said:
....Hey Lou, just checked the pn of the hb I got, same as yours, wondering if the this is an "old style" that doesn't requiring removing the oil slinger. Hope so... Then won't have to get the other gasket piece...

I was able to get a p/n off the one I took off .... 89330029?0--looks like it might be an original.

At a difference of only 50 thou, I don't think it makes any difference. I may be wrong, but more importantly....I'm lazy.

Lazy too, don't relish idea of pulling cover. Will vist dealer Sat. to see if "AC" pn is excluded form tsb.

Thanks,

AB and AC suffixes are the exact same part, dc's way of superceding parts and pn's, as explained to me.

Also, parts friend at Jeep showed me exploded view, no rubber bottom gasket between timing chain cover and oil pan, rtv standard procedure.

Back