• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission cooling line

scottyrock

NAXJA Forum User
91 xj 4.0L 4x4.
The lower transmission cooling line is leaking pretty bad on the rubber part of the line.I may fix it myself but have questions. Since this is a pressed fitting can I remove the rubber piece and replace it using radiator clamps? I am am just not sure how much pressure goes through the line and don't want the clamps to blow off.Or should I replace the whole line steel and rubber? Either way do I need to drain any fluid to prevent a big mess??

You can use hose camps on a rubber push on line.Though be sure you have at least on inch of tubing over the metal tubing as you do not want it to come off. It is not high pressure.

I had the exact same problem with my '96. Only one end of the hose is a fitting, the other end is permanently swaged onto the metal line. I ended up disconnecting the fitting end (radiator end) and cutting off the metal line right before the rubber hose with a cutoff wheel. I deburred the cut with a file, and used a transmission cooler hose and clamps from NAPA to replace the old leaky line. It worked like a charm, I haven't had any leakage from those lines since.

IIRC a little fluid came out when I cut the line, but not much. Enough that I was glad I had a drain pan underneath, but not enough that I needed to add fluid afterward.

I am using rubber line on my wifes van without an issue...

There is also rubber line on my 87 XJ tranny lines....

Just make sure you use TRANSMISSION hose for this, as it is rated to handle the heat and pressure......

scottyrock said:
91 xj 4.0L 4x4.
The lower transmission cooling line is leaking pretty bad on the rubber part of the line.I may fix it myself but have questions. Since this is a pressed fitting can I remove the rubber piece and replace it using radiator clamps? I am am just not sure how much pressure goes through the line and don't want the clamps to blow off.Or should I replace the whole line steel and rubber? Either way do I need to drain any fluid to prevent a big mess??

You don't have to drain the fluid, although you will leak some out.

Cut the line where the hard line meets the rubber line. Cut it parallel to the line itself. When you do so, it allows you to pull the crimped end off without damaging the hard line (as long as you didn't cut to deep). You do the same thing to your coolant lines when they need replacing (the ones that go to the metal "T" for example).

Once you get the old rubber off of the hard line, and you cut it correctly, you should have a hard line that has a "flare" or "ridge" still on the end of it. This will help your new rubber stay on the hard line.

Use either transmission hose, or power steering hose (which is cheaper BTW), and use it to replace the rubber. I would still use two hose clamps, but if you cut the line correctly you should be able to only use one. If you cut the line like most people do (by just simply cutting it perpendicular to the hard line) then your definitely going to need to use 2 hose clamps.

Hope that helps.

Back