• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my ignition key is worn out

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
so i noticed today that my ignition key is so worn there are hardly any teeth left on it. it looks like a knife blade. so before i get stuck being unable to start it....

i doubt they can cut a good match under the circumstances.

would it be cheaper to call a lock smith ?
replace ignition?
plan "C" ?

:dunno:

mojojojo said:
so i noticed today that my ignition key is so worn there are hardly any teeth left on it. it looks like a knife blade. so before i get stuck being unable to start it....

i doubt they can cut a good match under the circumstances.

would it be cheaper to call a lock smith ?
replace ignition?
plan "C" ?

:dunno:

Spend 2 bucks at the hardware store anyway. You'd be suprised. The key on my DD is worn to a knub, but the duplicate key is sharp with distinct peaks and valleys. Worse case scenario, the key won't work. You may even get your money back...

My key was the same way. It got to the point that I could start it with almost any like-shaped key. So it may not just be your key that is worn out. I had locked my keys in one morning, and thought I would try another key from the house, and I actually got into, and started my xj with a pontiac grand prix key! I replaced my ignition soon after that, and whats funny is my new kew opens my doors if I pull the key halfway out!:confused1

dealership should be able to cut a new key with the vin# and its not too spendy either (under $10 IIRC) but yeah the ignition is probably farked too

My key falls out while wheeling, jeep keeps on going

As long as I don't put the ignition in the locked position, I don't even need my key to use my jeep

If the key is worn that much, the pins in the cylinder are, too. Probably time to swap it out. You will then get a spare key (hint.) I would suggest thinking about getting the cylinder from the dealer only because they are made to specificaton and don't seem to self destruct as fast as the replacements from the parts house. My last two cylinders barely made 20K each.

And as an aside to those with a two pound ball of keys on your chain, the ignition cylinder was never designed to hold that much weight up bouncing down the trail. It wears out the cylinder mucho fast.

same deal on my '92, but my jeep came with a chrysler "Customer Care" emergency use only plastic key, took it to an ACE hardware and the cut a new one from the plastic. works great ad will not pull out like the worn original, you may try with a vin look-up at a dealership??? doubtful they would have it...

mines worn to the point of being able to pull t out while running and i got one cut at the dealer and it works fine dont remember if i can pull that one out though

I seriously doubt you can get the dealer to cut a new key for a 1990. The dealer near me said they can't even pull vin reports for pre-chrysler jeeps.

If you're going to pull the cylinder, just go to the auto store and get a new one. 1990 is still the standard GM style column and a replacement cylinder with keys is under $15. http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...4SB&Description=Ignition+Lock+Cylinder+&+Keys

Mines worn to a nub as well. I can pull it out while running. It used to not even need to key to start. I'd just leave them in the console, until the one time they weren't in there. Murphys law said that would be the day it would start catching and need the key.

lawsoncl said:
I seriously doubt you can get the dealer to cut a new key for a 1990. The dealer near me said they can't even pull vin reports for pre-chrysler jeeps.

well, when i called them to make sure they had the new cylinder in stock he said just bring in the VIN / registration and they would just get a new key instead. i assume that means they can.

.....unless........it's just a damn salesman's trick to get me to the lot. :doh:

wait......nope, that was the parts and service department.

Back