• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimming the rear, bumper endcap?

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Ok I pulled my flares off this afternoon. Broke off most of the nuts/bolts. Bastids.

As it turned out, Im starting to see rust around most of the bolt holes through the fenders. SO, as long as I don't get hassled by the cops, I want to leave them off, and trim just above the bolt holes. Nothing uncommon.

But what to do with the rear bumper endcap thingy? Trim it? Then the front will be hollow... All the writeups I see on here don't have the encap, but I don't want the gap at the rear bumper.

Anyone trim and keep this stupid piece?

I kept it. Took it off to the trim the metal then trimmed the end cap to follow the same line. Yeah, I guess theres a little space left inbetween the end cap and the side of your jeep for mud to get stuck or water to sit. I kept it on only for a finished look.

The only reason I want to keep it is it makes it look like the tire sticks out less from the rear. Maybe Ill try trimming it and filling it in with expanding foam, then trim and paint.

if you dont want the gap at the rear bumper you either have to do some fabwork or leave the endcap on. trim it to match the line of your cut and call it a day. a shot from the pressure washer cleans any mud out. expanding foam would work or.. alternately you could take the flat part of end that you cut off and fiberglass it on in the new spot..thats what i did after a while... no reason for it other than looks. it took about 10 mins to do, then rattlecanned it. (note: really not worth it if it would take you longer than that.. i dunno about you i always knock off and rip up those dang plastic bits on trees all the time :p)

as for the trimming itll help you keep a cleaner line and will be a lot stronger if you trim it lower, then fold/hammer the lip up..do a search theres a couple threads on it.

Trimmings no mystery, I just can't leave the gap open. Rust pocket within a few years, guarenteed. I think I will fill it somehow. Maybe I will break out the plastic welder :D

Fill it with expanding foam, let it cure then trim off whatever is protruding. You could even paint the edge of the foam black to match the cap.

I took the factory end caps off my 01 XJ and and added the end pieces from an older XJ. Tehy are shorted and look much better with trimmed fenders.

100_3673.jpg

100_3689.jpg

Nice, did you need to mod anything to bolt them on? Or just grab the endcap and the bracket?

Back