• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans. Temps??

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who have a transmission temp gauge. What temps do you usually run?

Highway?
Uphill?
Straight & Flat?
In traffic?
Wheeling?
Hot weather/Cool weather/Cold weather?
What's too cool?
Whats too hot?

Thanks

:patriot:

Might also want to ask where the sensor is connected and whether they also have an added trans cooler in the plumbing.

Good questions though.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Sorry guys and gals but I gotta bump this. I think it's a good idea to know where WE stand on when we (AW4 folks are) too hot.

Thanks

Paradise

ParadiseXJ said:
For those of you who have a transmission temp gauge. What temps do you usually run?

Highway?
Uphill?
Straight & Flat?
In traffic?
Wheeling?
Hot weather/Cool weather/Cold weather?
What's too cool?
Whats too hot?

Thanks

:patriot:

My rig with a HD trans cooler (with the radiator loop eliminated)

Highway @ 65mph - 90* outside ~ 130*
Uphill grade:
Slow ~ 45mph - 175*
Cruising ~ 150*- Straight & Flat @ 55 ~ 130*
In traffic (90* outside) ~ 150-180*
Wheeling ~ 150*-175* (not much this year since I put the gauge in)

Never gone over 185* and it's 97* outside today-on the way home - 4 mile grade @ ~55.
Last weekend, towing a 2,000 lb. boat and trailer up the same hill @ 85* it was right at 180*

Last edited:
swiftys96 said:
aux cooler with gauge tapped in at the line to the cooler

Huh?

Yeah, I got the part about the cooler. I have an HD aux. cooler (read above) and the sender is tapped into the line. It's got a single wire and grounded by the steel line. That was not even close to being part of this question.

The question is:

If you have a transmission temperature gauge, what are the temperatures you are reading under these conditions??

trans001.jpg

So, after a little searching, I found this. It looks like I'm doing OK. In the posts I found this in I was surprised how may guys have no cooler at all, not even the little cheesy one I replaced.

But, here's the poop.

TransLifeChartfromHECATInc.jpg

don't know if I did any kind of damage to my tranny BEFORE the HD cooler & gauge install. Nowhere to start from.

trany fluid temp is not so much one temp is to high and everything under it is OK. UNDER IDLE CONDISHION. They say at 150F fluid life is dam near forever. Don't bet your trany or tranfer case on it. (IMO) change it ever 20~30K. If you tow heavy or off very hard. I SAY 20k max.
Temps: AT 200 F for very long 10-15k and change.
AT 250 F or more for very long ASAP.

Back