• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help Opening 242 Tcase

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
I for the life of me cannot get my case to open up. Problem being, i cannot access the snap ring on the rear output shaft. There is a seal in the way, i've tried to remove the seal, ended up ripping some of it apart but cant get it out of there. Anyone else run into this, its a 2000 242 case.

You gotta tear a seal up to get to it, sorry bud.... I had to rent a bearing puller to remove mine on my 96 242, which has the same output at the 97+ models too. Its just something that has to be done. Go buy ya another seal from the local parts store, make sure you got some damn good snap ring pliers and have patience.

Well that how I ended up getting the seal off, using it to catch the outside lip on the seal. I tried a screwdriver and rubber mallet but to no success.... Thats just what i had to use, you might be able to do without.

Either way, that seal has to come off.

thanks zac, more pressure is always the answer ha! now, ive got it all out, apart and im scared to death ill never get it back together. Oh the joy of learning the only untouched part on my jeep.

Yeah, It took me 2 trys and an extra oil slinger gear to get mine rebuilt. Check your output shaft bearing too in the tail houseing.... Mine was shot at 125k.

How you like then eye-less snap rings, haha.

Back