• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any interest in multi-day trails?

What overnight Moab area trails are you interested in doing at Fall Fling?

• Total voters
Alex,

It might be useful to post links to trail reports you have written or to others you have found. Some of these trails may not be familiar or well known enough for out-of-state people like me. I've not heard of Dolores Triangle.

I've driven Lockhart in a day before. Although a very long trail it seemed to be very popular with cyclists that were camping overnight. On the day I drove it we only saw two other motorised vehicles (motorcycles).

I'm not quite sure I want to do a multi-day trail during the event this year. I think I'd rather stick around town to hang out with some of the people I don't get to see very often. I can run those trails any other time ;)

BTW- Vince, the Dolores Triangle is located North of the Dolores River, and kind of forms a triangular area between the Dolores and Colorado Rivers. If the water level on the Dolores is high, the only way to get there is via Gateway or Glade Park, Colorado. If the water level on the river is low enough, there is a ford not too far from the Dewey Bridge

I kinda feel the same way Randy.

Fall Fling in my mind is more of a social trip then a back country get a way.

Although I really don't like crowds. :D

Man, I would love to Alex. But since I have "responsibilities" :D, I have to stay close to the party... err.. I mean headquarters.

white rim is on my "must do in the future" list but it will depend on who my passenger is. how's that for a tentative "maybe" ??

Another thing to consider is if you camp in a national park you better get in gear and decide where now so you can get permits to camp. I know that the White Rim area and also Elephant Hill require permits to camp.

Think of it a a social trip... away from crowds, but with some NAXJA folks that are about to become your good friends. :) I sincerely doubt anybody who does one of these trips will come back and wish they had spent the time hanging around Slickrock Campground or shopping for t-shirts in town.

Here's some trail descriptions:

White Rim Trail

Lockhart Basin/Hurrah Pass

Randy has the best description of Dolores Triangle I have seen. It is done by RR4W as one of their Labor Day Campout trails. I have not done it, nor am I sure what it is comprised of, although I do have an incomplete GPS route for it. This has never stopped me from doing any trail yet! I found one of the fords a few years ago. The Dolores River looked wide, fast and deep! That was in the spring of 2005 after a heavy snow year. Fall should hopefully have lower water. It would be a great snorkel tester!

Hole in the Rock trail, and a recent trip report.

Arch Canyon, trip reports (with Hotel Rock) here and here.

Hotel Rock/Beef Basin/Elephant Hill is the meat in this red rock sandwich

Yes, setting up a group camping trip to the White Rim would be a problem with the 3 vehicle per campsite limit. The other trails have good campsites outside of the NP system, including good ones on BLM land at either end of Elephant Hill.

Handlebars said:
Randy has the best description of Dolores Triangle I have seen. It is done by RR4W as one of their Labor Day Campout trails. I have not done it, nor am I sure what it is comprised of, although I do have an incomplete GPS route for it. This has never stopped me from doing any trail yet! I found one of the fords a few years ago. The Dolores River looked wide, fast and deep! That was in the spring of 2005 after a heavy snow year. Fall should hopefully have lower water. It would be a great snorkel tester!

....and I plan on exloring that area very soon. easy for me, since I don't have to cross the Dolores to get there ;) of course, if the river is too high, I can't get to Moab that way.

...and it was flowing pretty good near the CO/UT border last weekend
IMG_3417.JPG

I have a number of maps of the area, but if you don't mind, I'd like to see the incomplete GPS tracks you have. feel free to email them to me randy @ myxj.net

OK, I see there are a few interested parties for White Rim. I called the Canyonlands NP reservation desk at (435) 259-4351 to see what sites are available for the week of Fall Fling on the White Rim Trail.

Labyrinth 5,6,7,8,9
Hardscrabble 5,6,7
Potato Bottom 6,8
Shafter 7,8,9
Airport 7,8,9

I wouldn't bother with Labyrinth or Hardscrabble, they are within a half hour drive of free camping on BLM land just outside the park. The 4 sites in the middle of the trail are sold out for the month already- Candlestick, Gooseberry, White Crack and Murphy Hogback. If you wanted to do a 2 night trip running it counterclockwise a good choice would be Potato Bottom on the 6th and Airport or Shafer on the 7th for a nice, relaxing 3 day White Rim trip. Get your reservation by sending in this application:

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/upload/ReservationForm.pdf

The reservation is good for 10 people and 3 vehicles.

I would like to go on Hole in the rock trail and actually make it to the this time....

Back