• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Ya'll Think??

rooneypower

NAXJA Forum User
IMG_4989.jpg

I would like to make the section lined in black a piece of 1/8th (or should it be 3/16) sheet metal. You can think of it as a THOR Guard for the doors. Use the same mounting system as THORS and have the bottom half of it wrap around the door and slip inbetween the door and the bottom of my rock rail.

You can kind of see it here, how it goes lower than the door and has bascially a L shape on the end so it wraps under the door.
IMG_4992.jpg

How it is lower than the door
IMG_4991.jpg

The white lines represent where there would be breaks in the metal, so there would be 4 pieces to this "kit."
IMG_4990.jpg

What do you think? Do-a-ble? Would the wrap around feature on the bottom be cool and functional?

What about making the pannels higher, just above the grey trim on the side of my XJ??

Thanks for the input.

Keil

Do you really need protection there with those rock sliders sticking out that far already?
I dont see how anything could damage that area.

like the idea for more protection. the first thing that popped into my mind was the fact that the lower lip of the front doors on an XJ i recently got are for some reason rusting.

so, if you go with the "wrap around" underneath, I would try to make sure it's not a water/mud/snow collection system that would cause a similar issue.

Ya I see what your saying, but I kinda need a project in welding class and thought that this would be an easy/fast project i could do that would add some extra strength to my whip.

rooneypower said:
Ya I see what your saying, but I kinda need a project in welding class and thought that this would be an easy/fast project i could do that would add some extra strength to my whip.

Thats just useless weight buddy, plate your frame, build a rear bumper, build me a front winch bumper, build tube flares, axle trusses, stronger diff covers... That is just what I can think of off the top of my head but call me and I can give you more projects.:wave: Oh and please never say whip again, your jetta is dead remember?

-Alex

Kinda looking to do the same, but to hide the rust mostly, and for a little protection. Im thinking 1/8", 3/16" is over kill for me anyway.
My rockers are also pretty rusty, so I added some 1/8" to the rock rails to cover the rockers. A lazy mans rocker replacement...(thats the good door, drivers side has some rust)

picture.php

Back