• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will heat cause a CPS to short?

Carpenter

NAXJA Forum User
The last few trails ride I've run I have been having a strange problem. When the engine bay is good and hot, engine not overheating though, and I kill the engine it won't start right back up. It will turn over but won't fire. It gets fuel, not sure about spark. Let it sit with the hood open 5-10 minutes and it fires right up. I checked the engine for codes and it shows code 11, no signal from the crank position sensor. All other times it fires right up, every time. Can extreme summer heat and crawling speeds be causing the CPS to short? Will installing a new one do anything or will I run into the same problem?

Speculation on my part.....

More likely than not, due to heating, what you will get is an open rather than a short.

Get it to crap out, and check its resistance with a meter.

There is a thread on here, within the last few weeks, where someone stated the resistance reading of a good CPS.

Do a search. In any case, I believe it was in the range of 1000 ohms.

Back