• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual to auto swap HELP!

89cherokee89

NAXJA Forum User
I just bolted up the AW4 and have almost everything hooked up and ready to go. I was reading over a few write-ups someone did (on a TJ) and they were talking about removing a pilot bearing and bushing?... Is this also necessary on our Jeeps when doing this swap?

I am going from a BA10 manual to an AW4 automatic... please oh PLEASE tell me that I don't have to unhook all of the shifters, tranny cooler lines, and unbolt the entire tranny to get this out.......

On a manual tranny, the pilot bearing is where the nose of the torque convertor connects to the crankshaft. So yes, you have to remove it.

Did the auto tranny bolt up to the engine okay??? It shouldn't have if you didn't remove the pilot bearing.

yeah man, it bolted right up with no problems what so ever... I've heard both sides. I've also heard that if the bearing is back in there tight then it wouldnt hurt to stay in there. It took a good 8 hours to get everything hooked up and converted to an automatic yesterday and would really be a pain to back everything out.

I am going through this on my TJ now............

Manual
Standard.jpg

Auto
AutoII.jpg

Auto torque coverter, engine end
Torqueconverter.jpg

I am working on locating the pilot bushing(?) today. Everyone though I was crazy, but there is a bearing race looking thing that needs to be put into the standard engine in place of the pilot bearing. I will have a part number for it later today and I will post it up.

i know i'm in the minority, but why the hell are you converting to a damn automatic??? i can't wait till i press my new clutch pedal for the first time. i didn't even shed a tear over my automatic. damn POS auto trannies are all junk. the only reason i didn't use a sledge to remove my tranny is cuz another poor confused soul actually wants to put it in his jeep.

Part # 4736204-AA

Discrption: Sleeve NO 9023040

I hate standards and will never wheel with one again. I guess after you start getting older the clutch crap gets real old real quick, plus if you know how to work an auto you would be surprised how much control you have in the rocks. Mine was an auto to begin with, I just bought an engine that came out of a standard to put in it. I gave the six speed standard away that came with it............................ lol

oh don't get me wrong. driving in the rocks and such without the 3rd pedal was awesome. but the constant headaches with the damn trannies failing isn't worth it. i've tried for over a year to resolve my automatic tranny issues, and finally decided to get rid of it. I've never had good luck with auto's. not just the AW4, but just about any auto i've driven. i hate automatics.

I prefer Autos, I went with a manual to get my 6.69 first gear ratio. If I could find a auto with that i would have gone with it.
If taken care of properly the AW4 is usually a very reliable unit, it actually has a better reputation then the Ax-15!

It really does have a great reputation. I wanted to stay with a manual though, but I didn't have the money for a good AX15. I got an AW4 with about 15,000 on the rebuild for $100 with almost everything I needed to do the swap (minus the transfer case).

I got everything bolted up finally and got all of the wiring done yesterday. It started up and idled fine but I had a bad hose going to the tranny cooler, so I need to pick one up today. Can't wait to see if it all works... hahaha

scorpio_vette said:
i know i'm in the minority, but why the hell are you converting to a damn automatic??? i can't wait till i press my new clutch pedal for the first time. i didn't even shed a tear over my automatic. damn POS auto trannies are all junk. the only reason i didn't use a sledge to remove my tranny is cuz another poor confused soul actually wants to put it in his jeep.

I've driven my share of manuals. The Ford three speed behind a inline six will last about 6 days speed shifting. The top loader four speed will put up with abuse, but clutches have to be heavy duty and replaced every three-four years. And that 4-speed is heavy sitting on your chest trying to stab it back in. With a transfer case added to the mechanics of clutch replacement - no way for me.

Clutches are like brakes, every 50k, replace them. I keep cars for decades, and I am not going into the driveline repeatedly to replace a clutch. They cannot ever be guaranteed maintenance free. Torque converters, however, just about are. If you had a choice, would you replace a clutch, or just replace the fluid every 50K? And which would leave you the rest of the weekend to go wheeling?

Sticks rule slush boxes suck.
With the (((right gearing)))) for the job the clutch will out last any 4WD anyway. Stock type clutch too. Then there the money you save Not doing the disk brake conversion. Sticks generally will not need them. A well geared stick will walk over a rock. Not needing to be rev up like a slush box. Then at the top of said rock. That rev up slush box wants to lungs over and slam SOMETHING down on same rock. I have seen this 10,000 times.
The much slower turning engine of a stick will naturally start to brake on the down side of rock. Much softer landing in general.
Down side of sticks: Yes, you need to be more coordinated then a pregnant Yak. You may needed to think also.
. The slush box really needs about the same gearing if you want to off hard anyway.
ALL THIS IS (IMO)

A good bud is hard to find!
Even harder to lose.
Work safe.

I won't argue with anyone over this, people had different opinions on this and niether is right or wrong. Its what ever is best for you. Pretty much the reason you can get either a standard or an auto.

Tazicon said:
I won't argue with anyone over this, people had different opinions on this and niether is right or wrong. Its what ever is best for you. Pretty much the reason you can get either a standard or an auto.

True:
But it's more fun to argue.:)
God made o few perfect Cherokee. The rest have slush boxes.:)

Last edited:
well, GOOD NEWS! the transmission works great. but now it's having other problems. sounds like BAD misfiring... an I mean BAD. I'm starting a new thread for it... thanks for your help guys!

Back