• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade Front Bumper, and T-Case Skid

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so they're not technically "Homemade" but I did make them... at my R.O.P. welding class... the bumper is a work in progress, but the skid has been tested!

So the bumper is made of 1" square tubing, 2" square tubing, and "C" channel... this thing is strong as hell!!! still have to finidh up the winch mounting bit, as the whole center section is just tacked in... also, it will be plated with 3/16 that came from an I beam that I cut up... The brackets will have D-ring shackle tabs, and right below it is gonna be cut at an angle. I'll update as progress is made.

000_0960.jpg

000_0962.jpg

000_0959.jpg

Now for the Transfer Case skid... it is done, has been for a while, just thought I'd show it... it is made from 5/16 steel which also happens to be from I beams... gotta love the scrap steel! anyhoo, it's basically an exact copy of rusty's skid, except it has my initials in the support, instead of "RUSTYS", and I had to bend it, so it got a little curve...:( Eh, whatever, it's STRONG!

000_0964.jpg

000_0965.jpg

no, it has a brace on the top side that runs from the first angle to the middle of the plate... you can see the welds if you look along the edge

probably not with 5/16" plate, that's maybe a little overkill. . . don't have to worry about it bending to much on you though

the rusty's skid is 3/16... mine's beef! It IS overkill, and I like it!

The skid looks ok,the bumper looks like crap!

whitneyj said:
easy guys, he's learning. learning.

Agreed, sounds like Pirate in noob form LOL!!
I'm going to be attempting a front bumper shortly and hope I don't get thrown at the butcher Gods :gee:

Props to you for the attempt man, you are planning on skinning it right? That will make it look 20x better

sprngfldxj said:
Starboard M said:
Please do not use that bumper as a recovery point, or put a winch on it.
Please explain..............
More than likely that's pointing out the no-stronger-than-stock bumper mounts. They seriously need to be extended along the frame for use as a reovery point.

That bumper is going to be covered in 3/16" ?? How much does it weigh already? How much is it going to weigh after the plating? :eek:

Hopefully those spear points at the front of the bumper will be ground down/blunted a bit?

Jim www.yuccaman.com

He's got full length plates!

uh... look at pics... they go down the frame rail... it looks a hell of a lot better now... it's skinned, and the "C" channel was removed, and replaced with flat steel... I'll get a pic up in a little bit.

Yeah, the "spear points" are gonna be trimmed, and ground... they're going to be turned into D-ring tabs, (yes, thickened...) and there's going to be an angles plate on the bottom...

I have no idea what it weighs, but it's lowered the front end 1/2 in. I am going to put a coil spacer in when it's all done.

Here's the mounting bracket... I still have more bolts to put in...

000_0963.jpg

Here's the progress... plated and ground... I know, I missed a spot... that's on purpose so I can cut out the tabs...

000_0966.jpg

000_0967.jpg

Props to you for the attempt man, you are planning on skinning it right? That will make it look 20x better
No kidding... it definately did!

Please do not use that bumper as a recovery point, or put a winch on it.
um..... deal with it...

lowrange2 said:
Looks mucho better.

thanks... Hence the updates... I said that it was in progress!!!

Underside of the winch plate. It will be fully welded along the tubing...

000_0968.jpg

another more frontal fiew of it...

000_0969.jpg

Back