• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB antenna cable routing....

poorboy_616

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you that have a CB mounted in you rigs, where did you route the antenna cable??

Since mine is an ex-government rig, I was thinking about dropping the headliner and putting the cable thru the one of the grommets in the roof....

My Radio is either going to go in the center vent (I will fab up a mounting bracket to fill the hole and the duct) or attaching it to my ashtray door.....

I routed mine down the roof under the header panel, down the passenger side a-pillar, and then under the dash to my CB (which is mounted on the passenger side of my shifter)

Hmmmm.....

I was thinking about the same thing....

From the hole in the center of the roof, (though I may mount the antenna of the back somewhere) over to the upper trim panel, down the a pillar and to the radio....

I was goign to route ny cable today...

Until I found that I don't have enough cable.....

Grrrrrrr.......

I may just have to use my mag mount antenna for now (I need to make a run to dad's place to get it though), until I can get a permenantly mouted one..... My bills seem to keep eating the budget for the Yeep, otheriwse I would have an antenna by now......

Again, Grrrrrr........

I found my other section of cable in a different box....:dunno:

I now have the cable somewhat routed. I was considering mounting it to either the Front bumper or running the cable to the rear using a gutter rail mount.....

Right now the cable is routed out the firewall grommet just above the fuse panel, and bundled up in the pocket where the main harness come through firewall....

The fornt bumper has been drilled for various government attatchments and might be a good location, just because it's out of the way....(and I wouldn't have to drill a new hole....

If I were to use the gutter rail I would run the cable under the Jeep attached to the "frame" rail and then up beside the tailight, tucked in under the hatch lip to the gutter.

My third option would be to re-use one of the holes in the roof and attach the antenna to a roof rack....(It doesn't currently have a rack, so I would need to buy one.) I would of course re-route the cable through the "A" Pillar and under the headliner to the apropriate hole.....

Here is mine. No leaks

IMG_42851.jpg

IMG_42861.jpg

DUDE!!!! My thoughts EXACTLY!!!!

SWEET!!!! I know what how I am routing it now!!!

Thank you!!!!

My god was I stumped on how it would look.....

Now i know.......

insanity said:
I got mine going through the hatchs and acrost the floor. I have been planing on tearing out the carpet and routing it before hand really seemed pointless.

Instead of tearing out the carpet, just use some black tape and the CB antenna to push the coax under the carpet.

If the antenna is too short for the job, get something longer but equally flexible.

I have done that route before. It works, but I prefer to pull carpet and then lay the cable under it with some protection from abrasion.....

It look as if I will need to purchse another Mag Mount....

In the process of retrieving the mag from the rafters, my father dropped it..... Oh well, it's time for an upgrade!!!

Needless to say, it is now in a million pieces.....(the good news is, they're easy to pick up!!!)

ran myn from the back bumper threw my tail light, up the rear panels, along the head liner, acros the head liner to the cb wich is mounted on the ceiling and between my 2 visors and above my rear view mirror. Not a bad spot, but every time i hit a big bump, the dam mic keeps falling off and hitting me in my head...haha

I don't have to worry about the Mic falling on my head where mine is mounted....Hell, it's even tucked in a little, NO WAY do your knees even come close to touching it!!!

Oh, yeah, there is plenty of room behind the radio for it's attached wiring.

It's a Biotch to see while driving, but once it's set to the channel and volume desired, why touch it??

My mic will be hung on the dash, right where the US Park service had it. Just above the cigar lighter..... (it's even pre-drilled)

my antenna is mounted on the roof right in front of the rear dome light. coax is ran through headliner, down the D pillar, through left rear quarter panel, comes out of plastic trim behind wheel well, under rear seat, to box, out of box under passanger seat to radio. RG8 is a little harder to work with but its all the same.

I am going out soon, to pick up another length of cable, and a couple connectors, seeming as I don't have enough....

I also need to go and get a new mag mount. I will also use the antenna thatcomes with the mount, seeming as my fiberglass stick got broken while in storage....

Grrrr...

I will have pics once it's done.

juniorXJ said:
RG8 is a little harder to work with but its all the same.

Whoa!!! I guess!! RG-8 for mobile use? Unless you're running waaaayyy over 100 watts, RG-58 (or similar) is fine. Now if you still want some high performance stuff, the RG-8M or RG-8X is a good choice for mobile applications. Just my .02. :D

how bout 1200. I would be much more comfy with at least RG213. the best would be 3/8" heliax, solid core, solid shield need i say more.

juniorXJ said:
how bout 1200. I would be much more comfy with at least RG213. the best would be 3/8" heliax, solid core, solid shield need i say more.

1,200 Watts?!?!? :eek:

Well..... at least only 1,196 of those are illegal!! :laugh2:

Last edited:
im a duck, i know people that run well up and over 10,000w in there mobile, and well over 120,000w on a base using big ol steel tubes. one of wich being a very well known rapper. but anyway. please dont pinch your coax in doors and whatnot. it works for temporary but eventualy you will break the center conductor causing your recieve to go byby and your transmit to reflect back into your radio and seriously smoke it. and it dont smell like insence ill tell ya that.

Back