• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blocks or Shackles?

MIXEDBREED

NAXJA Forum User
I have a RC3" coils and full pack. I want to go another 1 1/2" ( I know, I should have went with the 4 1/2" kit to start off with...)

In your oppinion, what is better blocks, or shackles? Why?

Thanks - JT

Shackles is the easy choice in this situation. They will allow your longer springs to flex more freely. Be sure to bumpstop, or you may end up sagging early.

First,it would be better to stick with your original thread!Anyways just say no to blocks.You are definately going to need a good trackbar,control arms,shocks,brake lines, and some DB's or LA's!A SYE kits may be in your near future also!

ask yourself will all the vibrations and messing up steering geometry that come with that extra inch really worth 1" (unless its trailered) i went to shackles in the rear on top of my 3.5" full pack and it was enough to give me bad vibes. i shimmed it correctly and they were still there. pulled the shims and now i still have vibes and im back where i started. i tried two diff shackle shim combos and a add a leaf shim combo too. no good and ive still got vibes. i had alotta room with my 33x12.5's and my 3.5" lift and alotta trimming. i should have left it alone in the first place. if you really dont need that extra inch and its a dd/weekend warrior then id say trim it up real good and youll be happ with the low cog. im not saying more lift is a bad thing, i just hope you get lucky and get no vibes if you do, or have alotta extra cash, freetime to diagnose vibes, and patience. the tnt's are great, i had RE and they were very well built and i liked the greasable hardware

blondejoncherokee said:
ask yourself will all the vibrations and messing up steering geometry that come with that extra inch really worth 1" (unless its trailered)
I'm gonna have to stop you right there. Sounds like you are assuming that the extra inch or so to go to 4.5" immediately means the ride will be crappy enough that you'll need to trailer the Jeep? Wow - I have many thousands of smooth-riding miles in my '96 XJ at 4.5" and it's all in how you approach the lift.

If you throw a big ol' shackle on and don't use shims to correct the u-joint angles then yes, you'll have a rough ride. If you stuff a couple extra spring spacers in and use stock or incorrect length control arms, you'll have a rough ride. If you're sitting at 4.5 inches or more and have the short control arms in their stock mounting locations, you'll have a rough ride.

However, if you take the time (and spend the money) to do it right, there is no problem other than poor aerodynamics with a 4-5" tall XJ. See http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/45lift.html for more info on how it was done.

To the original poster - would I recommend blocks or shackles to grow from 3" to 4.5"? Shackles...and probably an extra leaf but that's just for the rear. up front is where you make it or break it.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back