• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swap a 2.8l to a 4.0

1985cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1985 jeep cherokee pioneer with the gm 2.8l v-6 and i got the front and rear axles, trans and transfercase and the 4.0 engine, front coil spring rear leaf front and rear shocks all out of a 1989 cherokee! and i wanna swap all those parts into my xj if any one has any advice for me it would help me alot!! i know i am going to have to change the wiring the computer the motor mount, rad. rad. mounts, dent the firewall to fit the 4.0 in,change the fuel and exhaust systems, battery holder! is there anything i am missing

Last edited:
ooh,i would love to be you! good luck

as the proud owner of an 86 that had the 2.8. I went dif route anf swaped in a 92 chevy vortec 4.3 with an s10 trans and transfer case. eng is 50 lbs lighter than a 4.0 didnt have to use the hammer on any sheetmetel bolted right in with aa motor mounts wiring was easy to adapt since gm to gm more hp than 4.0. trans is over drive with a better first gear and came with 231 t case wich the gm ones had wider chain aa sye bolts right in just like a jeep t case I love it sounds like a sbc tons of power. just my .02 worth:roll:

stoveguy said:
as the proud owner of an 86 that had the 2.8. I went dif route anf swaped in a 92 chevy vortec 4.3 with an s10 trans and transfer case. eng is 50 lbs lighter than a 4.0 didnt have to use the hammer on any sheetmetel bolted right in with aa motor mounts wiring was easy to adapt since gm to gm more hp than 4.0. trans is over drive with a better first gear and came with 231 t case wich the gm ones had wider chain aa sye bolts right in just like a jeep t case I love it sounds like a sbc tons of power. just my .02 worth:roll:

I have a 86 Xj as well. I was going to swap the 2.8 for a 3.4. Now i think i need to look into this 4.3 swap. does anyboby have more info on this swap?

Larrythedog said:
I have a 86 Xj as well. I was going to swap the 2.8 for a 3.4. Now i think i need to look into this 4.3 swap. does anyboby have more info on this swap?

The 4.3L swap should be roughly comparable to swapping in a SBChevvy - just a shorter engine (one cylinder less per bank.) Advance Adapters has a drop-in mounting cradle for the SBC in XJ/MJ, which should make it far easier.

For the OP, I'm sure you'll find it a good deal easier to swap in a RWD/AWD/4WD 3.4L than to swap in a 4.0L - less work, even if you take the FI setup with it (or just drop on the 2.8L intake and upsize the carburettor.) Make sure you have the RWD/4WD/AWD version - the FWD puts the starter motor on the opposite side. Don't neglect the FWD platforms when you're looking for a donor - slide under and check the back side of the engine block (as mounted) for a mounting pad for the starter motor. Goodwrench Service Replacement blocks for the V6-60 series had mounting pads put on both sides of the engine block - if you have the mounting pad on the backside of the block in a FWD vehicle, you have a GSR block and it can be mounted in a RWD/AWD/4WD application.

RWD donors include the F-Body (Camaro-Firebird,) the S-Series truck, and some Astro/Safari vans. The 4.3L was also used in later F-body, S-Series, Astro/Safari, and some 1/2-ton full-size trucks.

well like I said I done this swap to mine and actually really easy. if you dont wanna mess with the fuel injection get an intake off an 85 astro van the were carbed and even came with a four barrel. I love my fuel injection tho:loveu:

tigerShark said:
why stop with the 4.3? would an SBC be just as easy? same motor mounts?

More or less. The SBC is only a shade longer than the 2.46L, IIRC, and the engine bay was designed to accommodate the 2.46L I4 or 2.8L V6-60.

It's mainly a matter of choice at that point - although the 4.3L may be easier to find, and a bit better on fuel.

mounts are dif main reason i did is stock eng to stock engine camparison not counting ls1 or lt1 very little is gained going to small block yet you gain more broblems tryiing to cool. the 4.3 was real easy its 200 hp stock was easy to cool tons of room to work on it, actually more rm than with the 2.8 ive got a flow master on mine and it sounds like a v8 and i get better gas mileage than a friend with a yj with a 4.0 and im running 33's with 4.10 gears:worship:

Back