• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking Power S fluid, burning fluid smell, rattling pulley sound, running a tad hot.

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Wow, I cant believe I fit all that into the title lol.

My 96 4.0 Auto 4dr. has recently started making a werid intermittent rattling sound which sounds like a bad pulley. Definetly not a slipping belt.

I added some power steering fluid before work yesterday and took her out, when I got hom lastnight she was running slightly hot, I let her sit for about 30 minutes with cardboard underneath when I got home. When I checked, it was covered in power steering fluid and I noticed a faint burnt fluid smell, smelled musty like coolant or possibly PS fluid.

Any thoughts guys?

Im thinking a bad power steering unit all together.

Thanks!
-Aaron

Last edited:
Re: Leaking Power S fluid, burning fluid smell, rattling pulley sound, running a tad hot.

Try cleaning everything off well first, then repeat what you've already done. Then maybe you can observe the source of the leak.

Trans fluid and PS fluid are often mistaken and the lines run close to each other.

Re: Leaking Power S fluid, burning fluid smell, rattling pulley sound, running a tad hot.

^Good point, I power washed the skid plate area/ below the crank. Ill do a visual inspection today after work.

If it was tranny fluid wouldn't I have noticed a difference in shifting, higher revs? Rough shifting? Noise?

Thanks!

Bump because Im driving my car without inspection cause the Jeep is out of service.

Have you cleaned everything off and located the source of your leak yet? Could just be a blown pressure hose... $25 bucks at an autozone or the like. Also the seal between the reservior and pump likes to fail...

^It appears as if the pump itself is leaking, would that make the pulley rattle?

Plays For Jeeps said:
^It appears as if the pump itself is leaking, would that make the pulley rattle?
The o-ring between the reservior and pump might be your leak (wouldn't make it rattle tho...).

With the belt loose or off, can you move the shaft in/out or up/down with your hand?
If so it sounds like the bearings went south on you... if it's a decent pump (original or quality reman) I've seen rebuild kits for around $40...takes some time and patience tho.
If the shaft is bent you may need a just have to get a new pump anyway...
cheap pumps are around $50
good pumps are around $80
quality pumps are $100+

Thanks guys! I ended up replacing the Water pump, thermostat, upper and lower rad hoses, rad cap, and serp belt.

WP- $32.00 new with a lifetime war.
Rad cap- $4.99
Upper rad hose- $11.99
Lower rad hose- $16.99
Serp. Belt- $32.00
Thermostat- $4.99/ gasket was $1.00

Grand total of $103.96 for a brand new cooling system and serp. belt. :)

Back