• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Floor board filling up with water!

Jeff1

NAXJA Forum User
Every time it rains my driver side floor board fills up with water. Only on the driver side. Has anyone else had this problem who might know where the water is getting in at? I'm stumped!

Typically it's the windshield. But check your door seals too.

Get someone with a hose to spray around the doors and windshield while you look inside for signs of leakage.

ChevelleSSLS6 said:
Does this happen while driving, or not? I'd check the floorpan to see if it's rusted out.

Ah, could be coming up from the bottom.

ChevelleSSLS6 said:
Does this happen while driving, or not? I'd check the floorpan to see if it's rusted out.

Nope, just while its sitting in the driveway. Hard a hard rain the other night and there's about 1" of water in there. I pulled out all the carpet, and the rust isn't very bad at all which makes me think it hasn't been doing this long.
I tried spraying it with a water hose too and can't seem to find where it's coming in at. The headliner is dry too so it's not from teh roof rack. With that much water in there the leak should be quite obvious but it's not.

Mine leaks on both sides from the firewall in a heavy rain. Try spraying water at the back of the hood. Water runs down the firewall and finds all the openings. As the gaskets in the firewall get older, the leaks start. I pulled the carpet out of mine and it is not going back in.

Last edited:
98XJeep said:
my 98 had a similar problem, it was running down some wiring that passes through the firewall near the brake pedal

It was coming in through the hood release cable hole on my 01.

Try opening the door and looking at the forward edge of it, the slanted part that faces the A pillar. There is a plastic strip on it, a type of diverter,check it out. If it broke or cracked some water can come in, usually when moving but still some can come in when idle.
Mine leaks through my windshield and runs dow the A pillar.

drill a hole in teh floorboard, check the hose test on the windshield it might be coming in where your vents are in the front under the windshield, and running down your firewall, under your carpet, where you wouldn't be able to see.

Instead of drilling a hole, remove a drain plug. Look from underneath, they are all over the place on the floorpans. Remove one (or a couple) until you've found the leak, then replace, caulk, and reinstall the carpet.

Oh, and in the mean time you might want to take the carpet out so it doesn't get destroyed. I'm in FL, and it will mildew in a matter of days if it stays wet.

Mark

try using 5 gal buckets instead of a hose, had a car with a heavy rain leak never showed with a hose but it did with buckets

Mine was leaking at the corner of my small wing glass (on the passenger side though)....was not closing all the way.
One night of a good rain and I had about 1/2 to 3/4 inches of water in the floor.

Jeff1 said:
Every time it rains my driver side floor board fills up with water. Only on the driver side. Has anyone else had this problem who might know where the water is getting in at? I'm stumped!

One of my mystery rain leak issues turned out to be the rear window not being rolled up all the way, even though it looked closed. Water was always in the front seat, not the back seat, so the source elluded me for months during the rainy season.

yea mine is doing the same thing i think i need a rear seal on the hatch but it is leaking in both front floor boards as well look closely at the firewall where the wires come in at that is one of the places on mine and the other is the triangle windows (can't wait to get rid of them) and the passenger side IDK i cant find it but im hoping its an easy fix but if not get a set of husky floor liners that will fix it KINDA?

Back