• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring guru's

pudge

NAXJA Forum User
Let's try this one more time.....I hope somebody out there can help.

I have a 90 XJ, I swapped in a 2000 4.0 dis motor & tranny. WOrks awesome!! Very pleased with the results, wish I woulda done it sooner. I went with the newer dash (no speedo cable) and now my fuel light comes on when it's full, and I have no tach.

Can anybody tell me how to get a tach?? After market?? make mine work?? apparantly my tech said he couldn't find the "tach out" signal??? Everything else works as it should. Any ideas????

pudge:canada:

I believe up to 1990 the sender in the gas tank read differently than from 91 on. One of them (can't remember which) reads full with zero resistance on the sender and goes up to a certain resistance for full. The other is backwards, hence the opposite reading on the fuel. The tachs were different some how also from 91 on up versus the earlier ones. they read on a different scale somehow. I tried a 91 tach in my 90, and the numbers weren't correct for my rpms.

pudge said:
Let's try this one more time.....I hope somebody out there can help.

I have a 90 XJ, I swapped in a 2000 4.0 dis motor & tranny. WOrks awesome!! Very pleased with the results, wish I woulda done it sooner. I went with the newer dash (no speedo cable) and now my fuel light comes on when it's full, and I have no tach.

Can anybody tell me how to get a tach?? After market?? make mine work?? apparantly my tech said he couldn't find the "tach out" signal??? Everything else works as it should. Any ideas????

pudge:canada:

So are you saying you have a complete 00 engine and PCM? And that you now have a 00 XJ guage cluster?

Either the cluster is bad, or the CCD bus is not connected, all the information about the speed, fuel level, engine temp etc all is on the CCD bus.

Now if your vehicle is what it sounds like it is then it sounds like your cluster is bad.

We really need to know more about what your setup is, otherwise I cannot hope to help you.

Also, you will not find a "tach output" as all that information is only available on the CCD bus.

BB1980 said:
I believe up to 1990 the sender in the gas tank read differently than from 91 on. One of them (can't remember which) reads full with zero resistance on the sender and goes up to a certain resistance for EMPTY. The other is backwards, hence the opposite reading on the fuel. The tachs were different some how also from 91 on up versus the earlier ones. they read on a different scale somehow. I tried a 91 tach in my 90, and the numbers weren't correct for my rpms.

I had full to full earlier DOH!
Note: Why can't I edit my own post?

zluster said:
So are you saying you have a complete 00 engine and PCM? And that you now have a 00 XJ guage cluster?

Either the cluster is bad, or the CCD bus is not connected, all the information about the speed, fuel level, engine temp etc all is on the CCD bus.

Now if your vehicle is what it sounds like it is then it sounds like your cluster is bad.

We really need to know more about what your setup is, otherwise I cannot hope to help you.

Also, you will not find a "tach output" as all that information is only available on the CCD bus.

I have a 00 motor/tranny/t-case including computer. To be able to keep the stock fuel pump the fuel rail from the 90 was wired into the new one. The dash I believe is 95/96 I think (It has no speedo cable, all elecronic controls). All other gauges work as they should.
As I was a cheque mechanic on this swap, I don't know some of the exact info. But mid swap my tech was saying he was having trouble finding the tach signal? before everything was in he was able to tell me I wouldn't have a tach??? Everything else worked out first shot, no missed connections were noticed, nothing had to be rerouted, etc...fired right up first shot.
Maybe it is the dash?? I do have a spare I could try.

pudge:anon:

pudge said:
I have a 00 motor/tranny/t-case including computer. To be able to keep the stock fuel pump the fuel rail from the 90 was wired into the new one. The dash I believe is 95/96 I think (It has no speedo cable, all elecronic controls). All other gauges work as they should.
As I was a cheque mechanic on this swap, I don't know some of the exact info. But mid swap my tech was saying he was having trouble finding the tach signal? before everything was in he was able to tell me I wouldn't have a tach??? Everything else worked out first shot, no missed connections were noticed, nothing had to be rerouted, etc...fired right up first shot.
Maybe it is the dash?? I do have a spare I could try.

pudge:anon:

Ok....that helps to know. Do you have the old style guage cluster or the new style?

I will have to look into the CCD bus used in the 96 cluster more closely.

If the 95/96 gauges are the same type as the 91/92 ish style, then you will have to either: swap a pre 91 fuel gauge into the cluster, or change the fuel assembly out in the tank with a newer one from a 91-ninetywhatever.

Back